Upgraded to Iphone 8, syncing through Dropbox requests merging vaults

Options
andreaf
andreaf
Community Member

My new phone is trying to sync through an older file I had in Dropbox. I thought if I removed that file, I would be able to select the correct file for the phone to sync with, but the app on the phone identifies the "Vault Discrepancy" and suggests that I merge the vaults. I don't really understand what that would do. I would like the vault in Dropbox to be the one that stands, but the word "merge" makes me think there may be a different result.

Should I merge? Or do something else?

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:merging vaults in Dropbox

Comments

• @andreaf: Merge can mean different things depending on your start point. If you have an empty vault on your new phone, "merging" will just open the vault on Dropbox. You're just seeing this prompt because what you have locally (nothing) is different from what you have on Dropbox, so it's technically merging two vaults even though your local vault is empty.

If you already opened that older vault file on your phone and have the old data in 1Password, merging means Dropbox will try to reconcile the data it has with what you have locally. If you do have old data on your phone, you may be better served by starting over from scratch. Is this vault the only vault you have in 1Password on the new phone?

• andreaf
    andreaf
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate thanks for your reply! I had already opened the older vault on my phone, unfortunately. It is the only vault I have on 1Password on the new phone. When you say starting over from scratch, do you mean delete the app and download it again?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andreaf: Yep! If you reset the app on your iPhone X, that will allow you to set it up from scratch with the other vault instead. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• andreaf
    andreaf
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! It helped!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.