Can we have a black list of words to not use in passwords for teams, IE. The companies name?

• Right now the Security Audit shows week passwords as strong, IE. passwords that contain the companies name or other words that are easy to guess with basic knowledge of the company.
  • Add the ability to blacklist specific words from passwords please :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:blacklist

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

As you've noticed, there is a lot of room for improvement in our password strength meter. (It is due for an overhaul, but it will take time). And we don't have a way to customize it with a specific black list.

But trying to get humans to create better passwords is not really going to get the best results for the effort. Research has shown that adding more constraints and conditions on human created passwords just doesn't work. People find ways to meet the requirements while still creating guessable passwords. Instead, I would recommend working towards getting people to use passwords generated by 1Passwords Strong Password Generator.

I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for, but I do think that getting people to use randomly generated passwords is by far the better approach.

Cheers,
    Jeffrey Goldberg. Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts

This discussion has been closed.