I want to print all of my passwords. The "web form details" are a bunch of meaningless garbage.

bbl
bbl
Community Member

I want to print all of my passwords. The "web form details" are a bunch of meaningless garbage. I don't want to print all of the meaningless "web form details". For one of my websites, the web form details are 1 1/2 pages long!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I want to print all of my passwords. The "web form details" are a bunch of meaningless stuff.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bbl Printing out of 1Password data is something we offer, but don't actually recommend, for a few reasons. Primarily, they're (obviously) unencrypted and thus readable by anyone who comes across the printout, but right along with that is that they're a static snapshot of what your data looked like at a specific moment in time. As soon as you complete the printout, you continue adding, changing and deleting your data, so that a printout that's even a tiny bit old, is likely out of date in key ways. Some of the data may still be the same, even most of it, but relying on a printout is always a risky idea.

Nevertheless, we're aware some users want to do this for various reasons, so it's offered in 1Password. But because we don't encourage it, there aren't a lot of customization options to the printout. If you would like to have a more custom-tailored display of only those fields you wish to include in a printout, I'd suggest exporting your data to CSV rather than printing it directly. Once you have it in CSV format, you can remove entire columns of data if you like, rearrange and rename them to suit your preferences, and get a printout that's exactly to your liking. Just make sure you store it somewhere secure and delete any "working" files in Excel or any other program that's contained your unencrypted data. Stay safe out there! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2017

@bbl,

You can also use the onepif converter in the converter suite suite to output to several HTML formats, which you can print. These are much more condensed and optimized than 1Password's native print out. Other formats can be created too.

Use the 1.10 version of the converter in Testing Bits mentioned in the first post. See the Screenshots and Samples link, and the onepif (to HTML).pdf file located there.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

You beat me to suggesting the onepif converter, @MrC, and better directly from you anyway being the awesome contributor and ongoing maintainer of that ever so useful converter suite! :+1::chuffed:

• bbl
    bbl
    Community Member

I am too old to understand onepif. My worry is that somehow, I will lose my passwords if I trust anything outside of my own hand-written copies, which I want to get away from. Printing them is obviously not an answer for me, as it is 31 pages, of mostly nonsense, to do so. Someone there (Evan?) wrote something to another poster, that might be an answer for me. If everything is retrievable from my backups, then all I would need is my master password and I am back in? If someone stole my laptop, my passwords would be in my backup I could put on a new computer. The thief wouldn't have access to my passwords in any possible way, unless they knew my password? This seems to be an amazing solution for those of us who keep our passwords locally, only on our computers (which is what I want to do), and are afraid of losing the info if we don't write it down or make copies. Do I understand correctly? If so, all my worries are gone.
    Your helper said this to someone else:: However, if your concern is that something might happen to your Mac, I highly recommend backing up your entire Mac on a regular basis (using Time Machine, or another backup app or service). A backup of your Mac will include your 1Password data, not to mention all the other important things stored on your Mac. If your current Mac fails, you'll be able to restore a new Mac from your latest backup..

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bbl - if you are making backups to an external Time Machine (or other backup utility) drive, then yes -- you would be able to restore your data even in the event of a stolen laptop, provided the thieves did not also steal the backup drive.

My own worry with printed copies of the 1Password database is that it's essentially a snapshot: it represents nothing more than a moment in time in the life of your 1Password data. As soon as the flashbulb (printing) is done, you move on with your digital life. You create new accounts at new websites, you change passwords at old ones, delete others and add all sorts of new credit cards or even identities. But that printed copy stays static. Without printing a new copy at least once a week or so, I would not feel comfortable with the integrity and current-ness of my printed copy...and if that copy were several months old, I'd consider it approaching useless. Your mileage may vary, of course, but speaking for myself, I'd much rather have a well-backed up digital system that could be recovered or restored even in the event of a theft/failure than a static "hard" copy printed out.

If you're not currently using Time Machine or some other backup utility to back up your hard drive, you should start. Here is a good starting point for Time Machine in particular. Other solutions would be Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!, but those are merely possibilities, not official recommendations. Let us know if you have any follow-up questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.