If I delete an attachment in a login, is it deleted permanently everywhere?

Options
dear_invade_charm
dear_invade_charm
Community Member

If I have an attachment in a login in 1Password, and then I delete the attachment, is the file gone everywhere, forever? I want to make sure the file isn't archived somewhere on my computer or the internet.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:delete file

Comments

• dear_invade_charm
    dear_invade_charm
    Community Member
    Options

Or maybe the file is saved somewhere in a backup.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If I have an attachment in a login in 1Password, and then I delete the attachment, is the file gone everywhere, forever? I want to make sure the file isn't archived somewhere on my computer or the internet. Or maybe the file is saved somewhere in a backup.

@dear_invade_charm: 1Password doesn't have any control over the rest, but once you remove the attachment from 1Password it's no longer in your vault there. However, if you delete an item which has an attachment, the whole thing will be in the Trash in your 1Password vault unless you empty it.

There are a few considerations outside of that:

• Backups (as you mentioned), on your computer, on your network, or offsite.
    • Data remnants on disk

I wouldn't worry about these too much since your 1Password data is encrypted anyway, and if you're using a recent mac and macOS version the whole disk is encrypted as well — the caveat being someone else having your Master Password, or that if you have the original unencrypted file somewhere it would be accessible to someone knowing the password to your computer.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.