1Password on iOS 10

Options
Mr_Kai
Mr_Kai
Community Member

I have several iOS 10 devices (they cannot be upgraded to iOS 11) and I'm told "1Password is not compatible" when I try to download the app. I've used 1Password on iOS 10 before. What am I doing wrong?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Mr_Kai,

1Password 7 for iOS requires iOS 11. If you are using an Apple ID that has previously had 1Password downloaded through it you may be able to download the latest version that supports your device using the Updates > Purchased tab in the App Store. To access the Purchased tab from Updates tap on your avatar in the upper right hand corner.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Mr_Kai
    Mr_Kai
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Thank you for the prompt and helpful response! That solved me issue. :)

• Ben
    Options

Excellent. Thanks for the update. If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• jsks
    jsks
    Community Member
    Options

What if I'm just signing up for 1Password for the first time, but still have an old device? My device runs iOS 11, but my wife's phone is an iPhone 5c. She can't get iOS 11. Is she totally out of luck?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jsks: 1Password 6 supports 1Password.com accounts, and that will run on iOS 9 and 10. :)

• jsks
    jsks
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

How do I get my wife a copy of 1Password 6? The App Store tries to get her the latest, and tells her she can't have it. Is there a URL hosted by you guys where she can try to side load it?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jsks - Ah, yes. Unfortunately, this is a problem currently if you're rocking an older iOS device. The way the App Store has always worked is that you're only offered whatever the current version of any app is if you're purchasing it. There's no way to BUY older versions. If you have already downloaded/purchased the app in the past on another device, then (assuming you're signed in with the same Apple ID), the App Store will recognize that you already own the App, and offer you the most-current version that works on your device (if you're trying to download on an older device). But if you're new to the app, you only get offered the current version. The reason that's a problem for a small slice of users just now is that the current version of 1Password for iOS requires iOS 11. For most users, that's no problem: they're either on a modern device that can run iOS 11 and already have it installed, or they're long-time 1Password users who downloaded 1Password for iOS quite a while ago and therefore can access older versions.

If your wife has ever downloaded 1Password for iOS in the past, she should be able to go to the Purchases tab in the App Store, locate 1Password and download it. If she has not, it's sadly not going to be possible until she gets a device that can run iOS 11, unless she has another iOS device such as an iPad that can run iOS 11. If that's possible, she could download 1Password 7 for iOS on the other device, which would unlock the ability to download older versions (1Password 6 for iOS) on her iPhone 5c.

• jsks
    jsks
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Maybe I'll log into her Apple ID on my phone, download the app, then logout and try to get the older version on her phone. The Apple powers that be will probably try to smite me for toying with them like this. :(

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@jsks - On a personal level, I'd strongly recommend you NOT do that; doing so will then in the future require your wife to sign out with her Apple ID and back in with yours any time she wants to download a new update to 1Password for iOS. It'll be a real pain to do this, trust me.

There IS a marginally better solution possible, which would be for you to allow HER to use one of your devices that's iOS 11-capable. Sign OUT with your Apple ID, then have her sign IN with hers, then download 1Password. That would put the flag for having downloaded it on her account, and she could then sign back out on your device and return to her 5C and -- hopefully be able to grab a copy of 1Password 6 for iOS which will run on iOS 9 or 10. I'd much rather see you attempt that than what you suggested.

• jsks
    jsks
    Community Member
    Options

That's what I was going to do. I think I just communicated poorly. Of course, she's due for a new phone as well. I just didn't want to be forced into that NOW.

Thanks for the help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jsks - ah, OK, I misunderstood you. That tack should work, but it involves the sometimes inscrutable workings of Apple IDs and the App Store, so that's why I said "on a personal level" -- because I can't really officially recommend that as a proven solution. Let us know how it goes, however!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jsks: This might help:

App Store purchase history (Apple)

So long as you can get 1Password into the Apple ID's purchase history, installing it from there (iOS App Store > Updates > Purchases) will allow her to get the latest compatible version for that device. Cheers! :)

• Athena
    Athena
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Thanks for the ideas so far.

You mentioned that, "For most users, that's no problem: they're either on a modern device that can run iOS 11 and already have it installed, or they're long-time 1Password users who downloaded 1Password for iOS quite a while ago and therefore can access older versions."

Well, I'm a long time-1P user on an iPhone 5. My 1P app was having some technical difficulty, so I deleted it and went to reinstall it, the old "turn it off and on again" approach that solves 99% of problems. Since only the most current version of 1P was available in the App Store, it is not compatible with my iOS 10 phone. There was no warning (at any point, in-app or during the delete flow) that I would not be able to get access to 1P again.

In the App Store, 1P does not show in my Purchases. I checked all purchases which start from 2012. I would try using my husband's phone to log in as me in his App Store and download the latest version of 1P, but he's on Android. There is no App Store on Android.

So now I'm totally stuck on my phone. I really depend on 1P and it's a great product. In fact it's the start point for using my phone many times, as I'm usually going somewhere on the web.

**I had the same thought as @jsks. Do you guys have a link to the old 1P version so I can download it on my phone? That just seems like an obvious and quick and easy solution. Cheap and cheerful. No hass for users. You must have it somewhere. Why not give us the link? **

The plot thickens, as I don't have access to 1P on my computer anymore either. My computer screen decided to go black over the weekend. It happens, computers are known to fail some times. And I don't have access to my passwords from the web, either, as not too long ago 1P made the decision to cut access to passwords through that channel. The argument as I recall was that people now have a computer and a phone, so there is enough redundancy there and so web access isn't that important. In my case, I can't get 1P on my phone anymore because of back-compatibility, and I can't access it on my computer, because my computer screen has gone blank, and I can't access my passwords on the web due to a company product strategy decision. Sounds like a bad luck coincidence? Maybe. But 1P is a serious app. It contains MY LIFE. It is not some frivolous entertainment app that I can do without. Without my passwords, I'm locked out of all accounts and my ability to manage my digital life. And that is my situation right now! I literally cannot get access to my passwords through any means.

Please help. Please provide a link to install 1Password 6 on old iPhones! I am a paid 1P user but cannot access the service. I am huge fan. I recommend it to everyone. But now I am completely locked out. I am glad you are providing suggestions to folks on this issue. I have researched it and found many other people online in forums in the same boat.

• Ben
    Options

Sounds like is time for a new phone. In all seriousness, our official recommendation is always going to be to run both the latest version of iOS as well as the latest version of 1Password.

As for any sort of workaround... 1Password.com subscription membership does offer web based access. Standalone vaults no longer do, not because of a strategy decision but because the technology that web access was built on is no longer available. Dropbox stopped supporting their end of it, and around the same time web browsers stopped supporting local file access, which were the two ways to make it work. With both of those options removed we had no way to continue to offer web browser based access to standalone vaults.
    If you have a subscription membership you can log in at https://signin.1Password.com/

We’re unable to provide 1Password for iOS outside of the iTunes App Store. If you had previously downloaded 1Password on your Apple ID then it should be listed in your purchases, and can be downloaded from there. If it isn’t listed there are two possible explanations: 1) You actually used a different Apple ID to install 1Password previously or 2) there is an issue with your Apple ID purchase history (which you’d need to address with Apple).

I’m sorry there isn’t a better answer but the unfortunate reality is that old tech simply isn’t going to be viable long term.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Athena: Following on what Ben said, you may find some of Apple's support resources helpful:

App Store purchase history

As Ben mentioned, we cannot give you a link to download an iOS app, as those are only available through the App Store. If you've purchased 1Password (or, really, any iOS app) previously, you should be able to download it from your Apple ID's purchase history.

If you don't see it there, you've either not purchased it on that Apple ID, or there's something wrong with your Apple ID. If the former, you can "purchase" 1Password for iOS (it's a free download, with an in-app purchase or subscription for the Pro features) on a device running iOS 11, or through iTunes on a computer, and once it's in your Apple ID's purchase history, you can download it from there on your iPhone. You'll be told it isn't compatible, and then offered the latest compatible version.

However, if the latter is true — you've gone to the trouble to purchase 1Password even now and it is not available in your purchase history — you'll need to contact Apple for assistance:

Apple Support

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Athena
    Athena
    Community Member
    Options

@brently @ben Thanks for the follow-ups. Turns out I was able to get an older version of 1P on my old mobile by doing the Apple ID swap with a borrowed iPhone. Thank you everyone for helping. No way would I have figure this out! Thank you.

• Ben
    Options

Great! Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that worked for you. We’d still recommend considering a device that can run the latest iOS, but hopefully that will at least get you by until you can do so.

Have a good weekend!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.