Unable to log-in to App on iMac due to limitation of characters when I try to enter password

Options
marcoman
marcoman
Community Member

The App on my iPhone is working well, can access data from the vault that has all my data stored on it. I have secret key, password etc.
However on my Mac I am unable to login to the program as there appears to be a character limitation in the password field and therefore I cannot enter the entire password. When I log in to the program on the web the vault that I am using on my phone to access all my data is not appearing and there are a few other vaults that I had created when I first opened the account, but they have limited data.
How do I open the App on my Mac...I have reached an impasse.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Password characters limited

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marcoman: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! There is not a character limitation. Just type your full Master Password in as you normally would.

It sounds like you have signed up for a 1Password.com membership, but haven't moved your data there yet. Just follow this guide:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• marcoman
    marcoman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, when I try to enter my Master Password on the initial login screen on my Mac Air, it will only accept the limited number of characters that are allowed by the log-in box and will prevent any additional characters from being entered when i reach the end of the box/window..approx. I logged in for the first time on my windows machine and had no problem. I can also login without any issues on my iphone if necessary...typically use fingerprint.
    Also, since playing with some settings on my iMac yesterday and logging in through Google chrome 1 Password app rather than the 1Password App as a standalone(unable to access as noted), and using the App to enter passwords...the passwords for websites that I used 1Password for no longer visible on my iPhone but are visible on the 1Password website. How do I get these passwords/Logins back on my iPhone where they are no longer visible... ie I have 4 different bank account website logins for the same bank but with different passwords and the one I used 1Password to login with no longer appears on my IPhone. I presume I need to merge vaults but I don't want to lose any of my existing logins.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marcoman - I'm confused, because brenty is correct -- there is no character limitation in the 1Password Master Password entry field. Yes, it will appear as if the box gets "filled" if your Master Password is longer than the space available, but it does not prevent the entry of further characters, it merely scrolls them off to the left of the box, allowing you to continue typing your Master Password. This is the way it's been through multiple versions of 1Password on the Mac over many years. It wouldn't be particularly secure of us to limit users to just the number of characters that can fit visibly in that box!

At this point, to get a better idea of what's going on with your respective devices, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—

—iOS—

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject Line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#QLB-72459-487]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out. Thanks in advance!

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @marcoman only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: QLB-72459-487

• marcoman
    marcoman
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I will send diagnostics report. But this is what happens as I just opened my iMac and searched for the 1 Password program. Opened application version 6.8.5 and the main screen appeared. Enter your Master Password...when i do this and the hidden characters/dots reach the end of the window there are no additional character entries permitted. Clearly, I understand about visiblity in box or lack therof but I am confident of the accuracy of what I am reporting. It is not permitting additional character entry beyond the end of the window. I hit the space bar and there is no movement --dead end.
    Also, could you address the issue with the missing logins on my iPhone. I was able to make a copy from the webapp where I found the original Bank login, made a copy to iPhone and than on my iPhone was able to add it back. Did this occur because I modified the synch location to iCloud from Dropbox etc. And how do I merge all these vaults so that I don't lose any of my contacts.
    Additionally, 1 Password membership was suggested and please explain how this will provide me additional benefits from my existing account which should permit me to use 1Password for logins on all my devices as well? Or am I mistaken?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marcoman Got your diagnostics reports; I've replied to you via email. Let's keep the conversation going over there, as it's going to be delving into personal details about your 1Password setup that shouldn't be on a public forum like this.

This discussion has been closed.