Accesibility-based autofill on android [disabling Lock on Exit can help -- under investigation]

ping500
ping500
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Android

Hello

I have trouble with accessibility-based autofill on android. When I go to a website and click on username/password field, I get small 'Autofill with 1Password' overlay. I touch it then browser windows becomes darker and bigger overlay 'Unlock 1Password' appears. When I unlock it (no matter if using master password or fingeprint), then overlay vanishes but browser windows is still dark as if another overlay should appear. Touching the screen anywhere except of small area in the center puts back the browser screen to normal. Nothing gets ever autofilled though. Using 1Password keyboard works. I tested this in several browsers and it always behaves the same way.

I am using Asus Zenpad 3s 10, with android 7.0 and newest 1Password from the Play Store.

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 7.0
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ping500: Thanks for reaching out! Can you give us some example URLs where you're having trouble, and the web browser version you're using? It's definitely something we can look into. Glad to hear that the 1Password Keyboard is helping in the mean time. :)

• ping500
    ping500
    Community Member

It fails on every single URL I use. But to give you a specific example I just tried it on https://www.booking.com .
    Tested browsers were Chrome, Opera and Firefox (all up-to-date versions from Play Store).

I also tested it on my phone (Xperia Z3 Compact, Android 6.0) - there it works without any trouble and after unlocking with master password I get 'select account' overlay.

• @ping500 I'm sorry that you're encountering this issue. We've received a couple of other reports of this as well and it appears that the 'select account' dialog is failing to detect that 1Password is unlocked on some devices.

Given that everything works as expected on most devices, I suspect that it comes down to a timing issue. When the issue occurs, it seems that the 'select account' dialog is being asked to display before 1Password has finished with unlocking. Since the dialog detects that 1Password is still locked, it doesn't attempt to load or display any results.

We're still looking into possible fixes for the issue. If you'd like to help confirm my suspicions about the cause, could I get you to disable "Lock on exit" in 1Password > Settings > Security? Once you've done that, you should be able to use Autofill with 1Password as long as 1Password is unlocked.

• ping500
    ping500
    Community Member

You are right, disabling lock on exit and using auto lock after 1 minute fixed the problem. Thank you for the help, this makes 1password much nicer to use.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks so much for your feedback on this! It's something we'll continue to improve following on its debut in version 6.7. And, to be honest, now that we've established that it's a lock timing issue, that should help us find a solution -- and it explains why I wasn't seeing this: I prefer the auto-lock timer to lock on exit, and have the latter disabled. Cheers! :)

• mflopez79
    mflopez79
    Community Member

The solution from @mverde worked wonders on my android 7 device. The docs should reflect this way to temporary fix the problems while you check the timing issue, as the "vanishing" chrome window was annoying (and I'm pretty sure it annoys a lot of users who give up and think that autofill doesn't work)

• Thanks for confirming that this works as a temporary fix for you @mflopez79. As Brenty mentioned above, this should make it easier to zero in on a fix.

• JosefJP
    JosefJP
    Community Member

Can also confirm that for the same desribed issue the workaround solved it. HTC U Ultra Android 7.0

• That's good to hear. Thanks, @JosefJP!

• @ping500 @mflopez79 @JosefJP we just published a new beta yesterday with some changes that may help with the issue you were encountering with accessibility-based autofill. Could I ask you to try re-enabling Lock on exit in the latest beta and testing to see if the change fixes the issue for you?

• JosefJP
    JosefJP
    Community Member

For me it didnt change the experience. I tried also after a reboot of the device.

• mflopez79
    mflopez79
    Community Member

@mverde I enrolled in the beta program, test the flow and still not working (same bug than before, a vanishing window). One thing that happened (and I unable to reproduce again) is that, while I was writing this, my phone locked, and when I unlocked the "grey" chrome window was out and the window for login selection was presented. I wasn't able to click on the desired login entry. Again, wasn't able to reproduce it.

Disabling lock on exit still works as workaround

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry to hear the changes we made in the latest update didn't help in your case, but I appreciate you you letting us know so we can continue to look into ways to improve it. For now I'm glad disabling Lock on Exit helps. :blush:

• luezuve
    luezuve
    Community Member

When i try to use the manual keyboard to fill in passes in chrome on my tablet, the screen just darkens and nothing happens. If I click anywhere, the screen brightens and returns to normal usage but there are no passwords filled in.

Vitals:
    Zenpad 3s 10
    Android 7.0
    Android Security Patch Level November, 2017
    1password version 6.7.1
    Chrome Version 64.0.3282.123

• Hi @luezuve. I hope you don't mind I've merged your comment with this discussion on the same subject.

Our team is currently looking into this issue. Do you have Lock on exit turned on? If so, can you try turning it off? Does that help with the issue you're seeing?

• luezuve
    luezuve
    Community Member

Turning off lock on exit works. Don’t care for the security aspects but it’s good to know you’re looking into it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@luezuve: I hear you. But honestly unless you've increased the auto-lock timer substantially, you're still in good shape, as 1Password will lock rather quickly when your'e not using it. It just won't lock immediately upon switching away from it — which isn't so bad if you regularly need to switch back to it to copy something. Cheers! :)

• mm2001
    mm2001
    Community Member

Same problem here on a Moto 5g Plus running Android 7.

Fwiw, this was working well until recently, and then I upgraded to a Family plan, and that seems to have triggered problems. Disabling "lock on exit" now gets me a new "Select Account" prompt that I hadn't seen before, and the 1Password keyboard filling seems to be working again.

• Thanks for the feedback, @mm2001. I'm glad that disabling 'Lock on exit' helped. The 'Select Account' prompt you're seeing is there so that you can choose which Login to use when filling into a site or app. Just choose an account from that list or search to fill. :)

• While this one has been a challenging bug to track down, we're hopeful that we have a fix for it in the latest beta version of 1Password. If you'd like to help us test the fix, I'd love to get your feedback.

If you haven't already done so, you'll first need to join the beta program. You can join by clicking the join button on the 1Password page in the Play Store app. Shortly after that, you should get an update for version 6.7.2.BETA-4 of 1Password.

Once you're running the latest beta of 1Password, please try using the 1Password Accessibility service again with Lock on exit enabled. If we've successfully resolved the issue, you should be able to tap on "Autofill with 1Password", unlock, and then select a login for filling.

• TriangularCube
    TriangularCube
    Community Member

I'm sorry to report that 6.7.2 - Beta4 did not fix the issue. Overlay still goes away with nothing to replace it. Disabling Lock on Exit does still solve the issue.

Moto G5 Plus
    Andorid 7.0
    Security Patch Nov. 2017

• I'm sorry to hear that, @TriangularCube. Thanks for letting us know. I'll pass this on to our developers so they can continue investigating.

• Palijn
    Palijn
    Community Member

Hello, just to chime in :
    Same issue (grey overlay) on my brand new, fully updated Sony Xperia XA1 , Android 7.0 .
    Disabling Lock on exit did solve the issue!
    Thanks for the stellar support :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! We'll see if we can find a better solution, but glad that workaround helps in the mean time. :)

This discussion has been closed.