To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password standalone 4.6.2.626 Vs. 1Password membership

Options
DedSec85
DedSec85
Community Member

Hello,

In 2015 I bought the standalone version of 1Password for Windows + Mac and I bought the Pro-functions for the iOS app. I'm thinking of switchting to a membership, but I have a few questions:

1. The current standalone version is 4.6.2.626. Is this version less safe then the membership versions of 1Password (version 6.xxx)? When will the support for version 4.xxx stop?

2. Can I migrate all my data from the standalone version to the membership version?

3. Is it correct that every member gets his own fault, but the shared faults are unlimited? So I can share a vault with me and my brother, but share another shared vault with me and my cousin?

4. Is all the information being saved on the 1Password servers? What if I loose internet connection on my PC or iPhone? Will I be able to access my data? And if there is a offline cache...is this encrypted on high-level?

5. Does 1Password support two-factor authentication? If not, why?

6. Version 7 seems to support a offline vault. Does this mean that it will be possible to buy a standalone version of 1Password in the future? Or does this reduce the membership price in any way?

7. Is is possible to enable a 'Dark mode' for the browser version of 1Password? Is this a feature in the standalone version?

8. Can I create folders and subfolders with custom names to organize multiple items like logins and passwords?

9. What kind of encryption does 1Password use to keep my data safe? If newer encryption technologies will become available, will you use them?

I hope you can answer these questions for me. I know, it are a lot of questions but I use 1Password on a daily basis and my data is way to important for me. Thanks a lot!

With kind regards,
Jeroen

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hello, In 2015 I bought the standalone version of 1Password for Windows + Mac and I bought the Pro-functions for the iOS app. I'm thinking of switchting to a membership, but I have a few questions:

@DedSec85: Thanks for your support, and for checking out 1Password.com! Happy to answer any questions you have. :)

The current standalone version is 4.6.2.626. Is this version less safe then the membership versions of 1Password (version 6.xxx)? When will the support for version 4.xxx stop?

Active development on 1Password 4 for Windows ended last year, but we've continued to push critical updates as needed and will do so until 1Password 7 is ready. As for security, we use the same technologies across all versions of 1Password so they all have the same secure foundation. The difference is that we add new features as we go.

Can I migrate all my data from the standalone version to the membership version?

Yep! We've got a great guide that will take you through the whole process:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

..which honestly won't take you more than a few minutes. ;)

Is it correct that every member gets his own fault, but the shared faults are unlimited? So I can share a vault with me and my brother, but share another shared vault with me and my cousin?

I'm not sure I follow. If you use 1Password Families, you could invite your brother and cousin. All family members have their own private vault, and by default can access the Shared vault, as well as any other vaults you create and share with them. Does that help?

Is all the information being saved on the 1Password servers? What if I loose internet connection on my PC or iPhone? Will I be able to access my data? And if there is a offline cache...is this encrypted on high-level?

All 1Password data is encrypted locally, same as if you're using the standalone version. The encrypted data is hosted on our server, but the apps cache that encrypted data locally so you can access it in a cave if you need to. :naughty:

Does 1Password support two-factor authentication? If not, why?

All 1Password.com accounts have a additional security of the Secret Key, and Duo authentication is a beta feature in the 1Password Teams Pro plan. But more importantly, 1Password's security is based on encryption, not authentication — otherwise none of us would be using the standalone version either. :sunglasses:

Version 7 seems to support a offline vault. Does this mean that it will be possible to buy a standalone version of 1Password in the future? Or does this reduce the membership price in any way?

Version 7 will support local vaults, but it isn't finished yet. I can't speak to pricing regarding that since we need to build it first, but I can't imagine that affect the price of 1Password.com memberships. They already provide a great value for the cost.

Is is possible to enable a 'Dark mode' for the browser version of 1Password? Is this a feature in the standalone version?

No, but that's a cool idea. We've got a lot of other stuff to do now, but perhaps we can add something like that in a future version. :)

Can I create folders and subfolders with custom names to organize multiple items like logins and passwords?

1Password.com does not support folders. They're pretty limiting, so we went with tags for organization instead, which are more flexible — and of course vaults, which are easier to manage with 1Password.com.

What kind of encryption does 1Password use to keep my data safe? If newer encryption technologies will become available, will you use them?

Only if they're proven. 1Password is still primarily based on AES for data encryption, as that has stood the test of time and has proven to scale well. But we are using a number of technologies in the overall 1Password.com security model. Be sure to check out the white paper and let us know if you have questions!

I hope you can answer these questions for me. I know, it are a lot of questions but I use 1Password on a daily basis and my data is way to important for me. Thanks a lot!

Likewise, it's great to hear how important security is to you, and we're always happy to ramble on about security answer any questions you have about 1Password! :chuffed:

• DedSec85
    DedSec85
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the answers!
    I will play around with the trial version first, but I think I will go for the subscription!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DedSec85 - great! I'm glad brenty was able to answer your questions. Drop by any time if you have other questions or issues. :)

• DedSec85
    DedSec85
    Community Member
    Options

I have another question. In the standalone version, it is easy to create your own "password recipe". It's possible to enter the amount of symbols and numbers if you want. You can also avoid unclear characters or allowing the same character twice.
    Are these options coming to the 1Password.com subscription in the future?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DedSec85 - I'm not quite sure what you mean. Because you can (in fact, you are encouraged to) sign into your 1Password account in the native 1Password app on your various devices (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android), you are able to use the same fine-tuning of password recipes that's available to standalone users.

If you're referring to the password generator available specifically from within your account in the web client, I can't say with 100% certainty whether it will be changed in the future, but thanks for letting us know you're interested in this feature.

• JoyceC
    JoyceC
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

All 1Password data is encrypted locally, same as if you're using the standalone version. The encrypted data is hosted on our server, but the apps cache that encrypted data locally so you can access it in a cave if you need to.

I think I get this but am confused by the cache. Yes, I know what it is. When is the cache cleared? I can envision being in that cave i.e. without connectivity, and being unable to access my passwords because my cache is cleared and cannot be repopulated. Or is is simply that the 1P site is being used like I now use Dropbox, as storage for distribution to my devices?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JoyceC

I think I get this but am confused by the cache. Yes, I know what it is. When is the cache cleared?

OK, a little more back-story to avoid confusion. We refer to it as a cache because that's something people are likely to understand and so it's useful in describing how 1Password.com accounts can still be used while disconnected from the internet. But real caches on computers are things that can get deleted or are regularly rotated out (dumped) after a certain amount of time has passed. The 1Password data you have on any device on which you're signed into one or more 1password.com accounts is not so much a genuine cache as it is a synced copy of your data. We refer to it as a cache because it's not the authoritative copy of the data; that's on the server. 1password.com is the "canonical record," if you will, and we didn't want to give the impression otherwise. But what's on your device(s) is a synced copy of the data, not just a cache. In short, it doesn't "expire" or get cleared. So don't worry on that score. :)

• JoyceC
    JoyceC
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Guess I’m old enough to worry about caches being removed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JoyceC - I hear ya. I'm old enough to remember lots of formerly-scary computer-related stuff that just isn't an issue any longer. But that's the funny thing about progress. Old problems get solved, but new ones always seem to crop up. Fortunately, we do try to help you stay ahead of it. Let us know if you have any questions about anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.