How to use on multiple devices - must I install it on each device?

Options
smilingscot72
smilingscot72
Community Member

I have 2 MacBook Pros, a MacBook Air, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, and a desktop Mac Pro (soon to be replaced by a new iMac) - how should I proceed? It is already installed on my Mac Pro desktop. Thanks, Ken Stewart

1Password Version: Version 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac High Sierra
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:How to use on multiple devices - must I install it on each device?

Comments

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

I have a 1password subscription, and thats exactly how i did it. Installed on every device, mobile, desktop, and laptop. Or you can open a browser on each, enter your secret key, and let that handle it, but the apps are better if you can install them (vs a system where you are not allowed to. The browser works best). Dont forget to backup your secret key!

So, must? No. Is it sensible, yes.

• Jacob
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi @smilingscot72! The best way to get things set up on your other devices would indeed be what AlwaysSortaCurious mentioned above: a 1Password account. 1Password accounts automatically sync your data. They also give you access to all the 1Password apps through a subscription, and your passwords are automatically backed up if you need to access them later. You can even sign in to your account from 1Password.com in a browser. And of course there's more, but I won't go into all the good stuff here as it'd get a bit long. Sign up for an account to kick things off: https://start.1password.com

You can use the same Master Password you have now :)

After you sign up, let's move your existing data from your original device to your new account:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Since you've used 1Password for a while, you are probably wondering, "Well why do I need to migrate to my account? Don't I just sign in to it?" While you can just sign in, accounts are a bit more than just something you sign in to. They also store your passwords, credit cards, and other info that you've saved in 1Password, which means you can access it wherever you are, just by signing in.

The last step is to sign in to your 1Password account on your other devices. Simply install 1Password on those devices, open it, and choose the option for signing in to your account:

Get the 1Password apps

Hope that helps get things started. If you have any questions email back and we'll be here!

This discussion has been closed.