So many issues (why is android so broken?)

FzGRYXMAmkZk
FzGRYXMAmkZk
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Android

I never used to have any issues whatsoever with 1pass. Even with the issues, it's still by far my favorite password manager and I usually recommend that people use it... if they have an iphone. If they have an android, I tell them to stay far, far away. Why is the android app so much worse?

Ever since I switched to the Pixel, i've not been able to sync except for the initial setup. I've emailed y'all, i've done all the suggested fixes. I've turned off my firewall. I've double checked that both my mac, and my phone, and are on the same wifi. I've made sure i've turned off my vpn for both devices. Nothing works. And now it's starting to become a serious annoyance, to the point where I'm considering giving up on 1pass for a service that doesn't have these problems

I do not want a 1pass cloud account. I do not want to use Dropbox. I just want to sync my phone over wifi, but I can't

The real kicker? Your error feedback in the app is broken as well. It doesn't prefill your feedback email on some mail apps (protonmail, for instance) and doesn't include the actual error, just a generic 'please give us detail' message. And since I can't copy/paste the actual error in the app, I can't even report the problem to you. Don't you want error reports?

At this point, I believe the issue comes down to the fact that one of the teams at my work uses 1pass, so I have a 1pass account through them. But I also paid for the app prior, and have my own personal vault. But signing in on my android app doesn't work, even with the QR code, and even though I'm logged in on my mac, and I've entered my master password correctly. If THIS is the problem, then that just makes everything that much worse. Why would I need to login to my work account just to sync my personal vault?

Also, I loved the part where I went through the hassle of making an account here just to complain, and y'all wouldn't let me use a proxy email for privacy. Just adding insult to injury at this point

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.2
Sync Type: wifi

Comments

• FzGRYXMAmkZk
    FzGRYXMAmkZk
    Community Member

After some more investigating on my end, I found the 'email diagnostics' button which gives a much more informative log. Sending the email is still broken however

Basically it seems to think that the WLAN server secret is incorrect. I went back to the android wifi sync guide here: https://support.1password.com/wlan-server/

This is no help. Steps 4 and 5 (where I select my mac, then enter the secret that's on my computer) does not come up. It is not an option. I cannot enter the secret, anywhere, as far as I can tell. So I can't fix an 'incorrect' secret. So yeah, just more frustration all around

• FzGRYXMAmkZk
    FzGRYXMAmkZk
    Community Member

Also - what happened to being able to add licenses on the mobile app? Am I mis-remembering? Another possibility for the failure is since my 'free trial' is over on my phone (garbage, i've been a paying 1pass user since 2014) I'm being barred from adding 'new' logins and such. From my mac app. Which I've payed for. Do I really need to buy 1pass twice? Every time I reset or get a new phone? That's insane

• FzGRYXMAmkZk
    FzGRYXMAmkZk
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

Alright well, I just dumped 10 bucks just to check that theory and the sync still fails. Same error - incorrect secret, which has no UI for updating or fixing so I guess I'm just screwed. Wonderful experience

At least now that I wasted my money (since I have an account through my work, which I can't log into), I get to do my favorite activity; manually typing in extremely long passwords so my phone isn't out of sync with my mac

• Hi @FzGRYXMAmkZk. Sorry to hear you're having trouble with 1Password on Android. Let's see if we can get things sorted out.

Ever since I switched to the Pixel, i've not been able to sync except for the initial setup.

Just in case you aren't aware, 1Password on Android doesn't support automatic syncing over WLAN. You'll need to manually trigger sync, either by tapping the three dots in the upper right hand corner (the overflow menu) and tapping Sync from there, or by switching to the Categories screen and swiping your finger down from the top of the page to refresh. This will trigger 1Password on Android to sync over a WLAN server. Are you able to sync that way?

After some more investigating on my end, I found the 'email diagnostics' button which gives a much more informative log. Sending the email is still broken however

When you generate a diagnostics report, it should open in the Gmail app, with a .html file attached. The report is in the .html file rather than the body of the email. If you're not seeing the report attached to the email, this is an issue on some non-Gmail clients as attachments are handled differently throughout email applications. Could you use the Gmail client to send us the diagnostics report?

Alternatively, you can copy and paste the content of the diagnostics report from the preview page. The report will help us understand what the errors are exactly. I apologize for the inconvenience. To copy and paste the contents of the diagnostics report, here's what you will need to do:

1. Open 1Password on Android
    2. Perform sync by tapping on the sync icon in the navigation bar
    3. Once sync completes (or fails), go into Settings > Advanced > Email > Email Diagnostics. You should now see a new screen with your generated report.
    4. Select all the text from the preview window, and copy it to clipboard
    5. Choose "Send Mail" to send us the diagnostic report. Paste the text in the compose window.
    6. Send email.

But signing in on my android app doesn't work, even with the QR code, and even though I'm logged in on my mac, and I've entered my master password correctly.

Are you seeing an error message when signing in? Are you able to sign into this account from a browser, either on this device, or on your Mac?

Also - what happened to being able to add licenses on the mobile app?

This was never possible, so I do indeed think you're misremembering here. Apps purchased from Google Play are linked to the Google account they're purchased with. If you had purchased the Pro features in the past, you'll just need to make sure you've installed on this device using the same account you used for the Purchase. You can check your Play Store Order History if you have more than one account, to make sure you're using the right one.

If you're using the standalone version, it's per platform and for a single version. So you only need to purchase the Pro features on 1Password 6 for Android once, and then you can use them on any Android devices you own, as long as you're using 1Password 6. Mac, Windows, iOS, and major upgrades will require another license purchase. This is part of why we recommend 1Password memberships. They cover all devices and upgrades, as well as seamless, automatic sync.

Let me know if this helps!

This discussion has been closed.