Change in US Border Policy and Devices

AlwaysSortaCurious
AlwaysSortaCurious
Community Member

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/05/politics/border-searches-electronics-guidance/index.html

Under the new policies, agents are allowed to search electronic devices at the border for "information stored on the device" that is accessible through software on the device, DHS said.
But officers cannot use the device to access data stored beyond the device -- a clarification that is in line with concern from appellate courts and the Supreme Court about the extensive amount of personal information that is accessible through personal devices.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AlwaysSortaCurious: Ah, good to know. I'm always thrilled to keep up all of the new stuff I have to worry about while traveling... :sarcastic:

Fortunately I got a great present last year: Travel Mode! There is no doubt in my mind that this was made just for me...but at the same time it's nice that other people can benefit from this great feature too. ;)

But in all seriousness, I do NOT miss manually removing and later re-adding vaults to multiple devices, and it isn't something I'd wish on anyone — so I'm glad that 1Password.com makes it WAY easier than it used to be for me to lighten my data load when crossing borders. Cheers! :)

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

Lol... great plug. But yeah, i thought it interesting where they were drawing the information borders.... resident data is up for grabs. Non-resident data is not up for grabs (like travel mode ;) ) but finally being clear about it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

Hey, I am the poster child for Travel Mode, and this is my life! :lol:

You're right though, the clarity is helpful. Sorry if my mild bitterness (lol) bled through a bit. ;)

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

I was just poking fun... I sensed no bitterness but my own ;) for counting down to 2020...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:lol: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.