1Password for Windows behaviour changed

Options
stephen_lee
stephen_lee
Community Member

My password to access 1Password on my Windows machine has been changed without me deciding to do so. The scenario is as follows.
1. I set-up 1Password on Windows before Family existed. It recall it happily synced with other 1Password systems on Mac and iphone and the Master password was set from the primary vault (I think). It was some time ago so I do not recall exactly how this system was set-up but it worked fine.
2. I joined Family and I was able to add my account to the 1Password for Windows set-up so I could now sync with the Family but the master password to enter 1Password on Windows remained as before.
3. I forgot my master password to the 1Password for Family cccount so I had to go in via a different user to rest the account details. This seemed to give me a new key albeit for the same email address.
4. So I then had to sign out of 1Password for Family on my Windows machine and sign back in again using the new key details.
5. Now my system is working again but the password to enter 1Password on my Windows machine has been changed without my agreement to the 1Password account password (and this is not what I want).
6. There seems to be no option to set up a local vault with its own master password (although this behaviour was working perfectly well before - perhaps as I migrated somehow from an older version of 1Password) and all I want to do is get back to this old set-up (i.e. with the 1Password application entry password being a value that I set independently from the 1Password account master password).
HELP PLEASE.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @stephen_lee! Sorry about the trouble with 1Password for Windows. It sounds like you might have continued using 1Password 4, which is the version of the app that doesn't support family accounts, rather than 1Password 6, which is the version that does. I'll try to clarify a few things and hopefully get you moving again. :)

I forgot my master password to the 1Password for Family cccount so I had to go in via a different user to rest the account details. This seemed to give me a new key albeit for the same email address.

Glad to hear they recovered your account so you got a new Secret Key and Master Password!

So I then had to sign out of 1Password for Family on my Windows machine and sign back in again using the new key details.
    Now my system is working again but the password to enter 1Password on my Windows machine has been changed without my agreement to the 1Password account password (and this is not what I want).

This sounds like the correct behavior if you're using 1Password 6, because signing out would have removed the account, then signing back in would have added it with the new Master Password. Were you, perhaps, using a Primary vault in the app before where that was what originally set your Master Password? You mentioned something similar to this:

There seems to be no option to set up a local vault with its own master password (although this behaviour was working perfectly well before - perhaps as I migrated somehow from an older version of 1Password) and all I want to do is get back to this old set-up (i.e. with the 1Password application entry password being a value that I set independently from the 1Password account master password).

At the moment, 1Password 6 for Windows only supports vaults in 1Password accounts. You're welcome to use 1Password 4 with a local vault alongside 1Password 6 if you need to, but the best experience is using 1Password 6 on its own without the old version of the app interfering with things.

Moving forward, I'd recommend first making sure you're using the latest version of 1Password 6, because things may have gotten stuck and the latest update may not have been installed. The latest version is 6.8.492, and you can check for an update or download it directly from here if you find that you're using a much older version and the update won't install automatically.

Could you please give that a try and let us know if it helps iron things out a bit? :) We'll be here if you have some questions!

• stephen_lee
    stephen_lee
    Community Member
    Options

I am definitely using the latest version of 1Password 6 on Windows. I have another Windows machine which is working the way I want it to (i.e. with a Family Account but the Master Password for the App is different to that for the Account). I thought this was because I had a legacy vault perhaps created in 1PW v4 but again it is definitely working with the latest version of 1PW for Windows. I will investigate how this was set-up.

• @stephen_lee Okay good to know! If your investigation doesn't lead to anything notable, I'd be happy to take a closer look. To start, could you please create a Diagnostics Report from your computer?

How to send a diagnostics report from your computer

Attach the Diagnostics Reports to an email, and send it to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a confirmation number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• stephen_lee
    stephen_lee
    Community Member
    Options

I have submitted the diagnostic reports as requested.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stephen_lee: Thanks for letting us know! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: EFV-31333-216

This discussion has been closed.