URL that will open web browser and fill username/password on the Mac

Options
daveother
daveother
Community Member

I'm 99% certain this is possible but I'm not finding it with my searches. I'd like to make a URL for a website (that has the username and password stored in 1Password) so I could put it in a task manager (OmniFocus) in my class so I can click on it and have it both open the URL in Safari and fill in the password (assuming 1Password is unlocked and if not, it would have me unlock it and then fill it in). I think this has to be possible because LaunchBar can do it, but I can't figure out how.

I'm using the macOS 10.13.1 with the latest 1Password.com version.

Thanks,
Dave

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi Dave ( @daveother ),

This can be done using 1Click Bookmarks. You'd drag an item from 1Password to your bookmarks toolbar to create the bookmark. You can then optionally edit the bookmark to get the URL out of it, and store that URL anywhere you'd like (OmniFocus, for example). You could then delete the bookmark, if you'd like. The URL will still work.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• daveother
    daveother
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben for the reply. In my case the link is a deep link within a website. If I add that full URL to 1Password as one of the additional URLs for that login I can make it work, but if possible, I'd prefer not to clutter up my 1Password with the full URL. I tried to just add the ?onepasswordfill=... and/or the ?onepasswordvault=... on to the end of the URL but that didn't seem to work.

For example, let's say I have an entry in 1Password for:

www.madeupsite.com

that has the username and password for it.

I want to make a link for the URL that will open and fill using the 1Password information

www.madeupsite.com/some/deeplink.php?id=42

by adding the necessary ?onepasswordfill= and/or ?onepasswordvault= onto the end of that URL. What I tried was making a bookmark by dragging www.madeupsite.com from 1Password onto my Safari toolbar and seeing what it added and then tried adding the same thing onto www.madeupsite.com/some/deeplink.php?id=42 but it didn't work. But if I added www.madeupsite.com/some/deeplink.php?id=42 as a secondary URL for my 1Password www.madeupsite.com entry then it seemed to work.

Is there a way to do that or is the only option to add

www.madeupsite.com/some/deeplink.php?id=42

as a secondary URL for www.madeupsite.com?

Thanks,
    Dave

• daveother
    daveother
    Community Member
    Options

Actually to make it work, what I need to do is add a second 1Password login with the deep link and use that bookmark. The downside to that is now if I change the password for that site (which I am forced to do every 180 days), I need to change the password two places in 1Password. Not a huge issue as I expect to only have 3-4 of these deep links I'm using at any one point in time, but figured I'd ask if there was a workaround.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daveother: Thanks for following up! I think you may be over-engineering this. ;)

1Password's 1-Click Bookmarks feature has issues in some browsers due to changes there, but should work fine in Safari. However, it uses Javascript to accomplish this, so there isn't a way to use a simple URL.

Using multiple URLs in a single Login item to add the one you want seems like the best bet. After all, you can still use the bookmark in Safari to access the "deep link" URL instead, while having a "normal" URL as the second one to access that easily in the app if you wish: just click it in the item details. That way you don't have to try to maintain multiple logins.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• daveother
    daveother
    Community Member
    Options

Putting in the second URL doesn't always work (I think if 1Password is not unlocked then it loads the main URL, not my deep link). What I'm trying to do is avoid also having to press the keyboard shortcut for 1Password (a minor nitpick) when I click on the deep link URL in OmniFocus. The only way to reliably make it work seems to be to add a separate 1Password entry for the deep link. If it can't be done another way, it's not that big a deal, but thanks for looking into it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

Putting in the second URL doesn't always work (I think if 1Password is not unlocked then it loads the main URL, not my deep link). What I'm trying to do is avoid also having to press the keyboard shortcut for 1Password (a minor nitpick) when I click on the deep link URL in OmniFocus. The only way to reliably make it work seems to be to add a separate 1Password entry for the deep link. If it can't be done another way, it's not that big a deal, but thanks for looking into it.

@daveother: Can you elaborate? You won't actually be able to access any information (first URL, second, etc.) in 1Password without unlocking first, so I'm probably misunderstanding what you're saying here. Thanks!

• daveother
    daveother
    Community Member
    Options

What I mean is that once I unlock it, it doesn't go to the deep link - instead it just goes to the shallow link in the other URL for that 1Password entry. I'm 95% certain that's what I was seeing. I'll try to verify it later today when I have more time to set it up again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daveother - sounds good; let us know what you discover. :)

• daveother
    daveother
    Community Member
    Options

I think I got it working. I still need to go back and check if I first need to make a temporary 1Password login with the deep link to make the bookmark and then I can add the deep link URL to the main 1Password entry as a secondary URL and then I can delete the second 1Password login. In any case, it looks like there's a way to do it and I'll get it working when I need to do it in January with a new deep link. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, looking forward to hearing how it turns out. :)

• daveother
    daveother
    Community Member
    Options

The way I made it work was put all the deep links in the 1Password login for that site and then re-order them to make the bookmarks. To make each bookmark, I put the link I wanted to make the bookmark for at the top of the list, dragged it to the bookmark bar and saved that bookmark link. Then I dragged the next deep link so it was at the top of the list and repeated the process to make the bookmark for that link and so on.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, interesting. Thanks for sharing! I'm glad that worked for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.