switching to WLAN Server

Options
onelike147
onelike147
Community Member

I'd like to switch to the WLAN Server in 1P so to avoid Dropbox sync.
I was looking at the guide, and I'd like to know if it only works with 1 mac and 1 iPhone maximum?

Is there a way to set it up and make it sync at least 2 Macs and 1 Phone? or even more Macs and devices?

thanks

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@onelike147: Ah, good question! The WLAN Server can sync between one Mac (or PC) and one or more mobile devices. As far as I know, there is no limit to how many mobile devices, but I'm not sure any one person has enough to really test the limits. It is not, however, possible to use WLAN Server between multiple computers, as the computers are each acting as the server.

Is there a particular reason you don't want to use Dropbox? It's a lot more convenient, frankly, and since your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance.

However, you may also want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. It also has the additional security of the Secret Key.

Either way, let me know if you have any questions at all. Cheers! :)

• onelike147
    onelike147
    Community Member
    Options

thanks @brenty
    I was thinking of leaving Dropbox sync in fear of hacking or security issues with the platform, not necessarily about the 1P vault itself.
    however, I still think that if you can find some workaround for the WLAN limit it would be great for the end user to have an option to have everything "local".
    for the moment, I'll stick to Dropbox as you've made your point and I think I can trust 1P's robustness.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Glad that helped! Indeed, we don't want our stuff out on the internet either if it isn't secure. We don't currently have plans to redo WLAN Server, but it's something we can take into account if and when we do. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.