Print command prints everything in the list (category or search result), not selection

Options
kevinosinski
kevinosinski
Community Member

In version 6.8.5 for Mac, using the application, the Print command prints everything in the list (category or search result), not just those items selected. The latter would make more sense, especially because multiple selection (including Select All) is supported if you want to print multiple items or everything.

If I want to print a single item, it seems that I must find a search that finds only that item (sometimes challenging), and then print. Specifically, I wanted to print one Secure Note, without having stuff from other entries on the same printed page.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6 and 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:printing

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kevinosinski: Indeed, the print feature is there to make a "hard copy" for archival purposes. If you want to customize things more, you can export the item(s) themselves and use @MrC ’s converter, as it's fairly customizable. We can consider adding more print features in a future version, but honestly it isn't something we want people using as it's incredibly insecure — even moreso than plaintext, given printer vulnerabilities and that a text file is at least on an encrypted disk nowadays.

• kevinosinski
    kevinosinski
    Community Member
    Options

I agree that it is a potentially dangerous feature, although it does make you re-enter your master password even though you are already authenticated. You might update the alert to mention why printing may be unsafe. (And one can "print" to PDF, avoiding printer issues.)

A good use might be to make a paper copy for a safe deposit box, since survivors may not know how to deal with a media copy.

But my issue is that the function doesn't respect item selection, which seems like non-standard UI. I just wanted to print one secure note that was safe to give to a particular person, but was surprised to find that it printed everything shown on the list — had I handed it off without looking, I would have given away more sensitive surrounding items.

Perhaps you could just change the behavior to respect the selection. If someone want to print everything, all they have to do is a "Select All" before printing. Limiting the scope of what is printed by default seems more secure to me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I agree that it is a potentially dangerous feature, although it does make you re-enter your master password even though you are already authenticated. You might update the alert to mention why printing may be unsafe. (And one can "print" to PDF, avoiding printer issues.)

@kevinosinski: That's a good point. One of my favourite OS X macOS features. That was pretty fraught too in years past, but with recent Macs all using FileVault2's full disk encryption, it's not as bad an idea these days if we're aware of it.

A good use might be to make a paper copy for a safe deposit box, since survivors may not know how to deal with a media copy.

Agreed. We generally recommend 1Password.com Emergency Kits for this, but certainly you have to "know your audience" so to speak. :)

But my issue is that the function doesn't respect item selection, which seems like non-standard UI. I just wanted to print one secure note that was safe to give to a particular person, but was surprised to find that it printed everything shown on the list — had I handed it off without looking, I would have given away more sensitive surrounding items.

That's true. It's something we'll have to rethink, especially as we develop future versions.

Perhaps you could just change the behavior to respect the selection. If someone want to print everything, all they have to do is a "Select All" before printing. Limiting the scope of what is printed by default seems more secure to me.

I think that's a reasonable request. I can't promise if or when we'll make this change, but it's something we'll look into. Thanks for your feedback on this issue! :)

ref: OPM-5657

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kevinosinski,

From your original post:

Specifically, I wanted to print one Secure Note, without having stuff from other entries on the same printed page.

Here's something you can try:

1. Select a single item.
    2. Click in the item details and choose Print.

Or choose Item > Share > Print from the menu with a single item selected.

We'd forgotten that was possible (showing how infrequently we print? :)) and hopefully it's helpful, even with only one item at a time right now.

This discussion has been closed.