Multiple Vaults / Passwords Don't Seem to Sync

Options
marc_mckenzie
marc_mckenzie
Community Member

BACKGROUND: We've been using 1Password for home Apple products since 2009. Currently my 27 inch iMac 5K Retina with the latest macOS is the "hub" of everything in the house; my wife has a MacBook Pro also running the latest. Same for our respective iPhones and iPads. As far as 1Password everything has been running hunky-dory for the duration, but a few months ago I purchased a family plan and set up a common vault as well as a private vault for my wife and I respectively. She isn't using 1Password yet (I've been recovering from cancer and very ill, and she has had a free moment as a truly overworked teacher).

PROBLEM: When I create a login to a new website on my Mac, it seems very hit or miss as to whether it syncs to 1Password on my iPhone or iPad. In the last half hour I created a Rover.com account, and no matter what I do I can't find it on my iPhone. Grrrr - it just should not be this difficult. I do notice that unlike on my Mac, the iOS devices don't show the two vaults. Could I have it mis-configured?

I sure do appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Marc

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: macOS 10.13.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marc_mckenzie: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! iCloud only syncs the Primary vault. That's why iCloud isn't an option to sync the others, and ultimately why they don't sync to your other devices that way. And if you're using that in addition to a 1Password.com membership, that will certainly cause additional confusion, as any local vaults (like Primary) are only stored on your device, not part of your 1Password.com account. Is there a reason you're using both? Generally we recommend removing local vaults after migrating all of your data to your account. Do you have a Primary vault setup on each device, or just certain ones? Good luck with your recovery, and we'll help you get this sorted out in the mean time! :)

• marc_mckenzie
    marc_mckenzie
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty- Sorry for the delay; my health sometimes abruptly stops my life, but I'm back for now! I have a 30 year old son named Bret who looks a lot like you. ;-)

Let me describe what I'm trying to achieve first. I've used 1Password since I retired from Hewlett-Packard and switched to Apple. Its an absolute necessity if you really care about security and ease-of-use. So the only vaults that have anything in them are mine ("Private") and a shared vault I copied all of my private vault into. My intention was to have most information in the shared vault used between my wife and I, and things unique to us in our private vaults.

I think I'm picking up that the Apple decision with iCloud continues to dominate all thought - that is that everything in life ties to an individual. This is of course not true in real life. For example, I am a computer weenie and maintain everyone's computers (ours, our kids, my neighbors, hell - everybody). My wife is an on-going struggling user. If I want her to use something it has to be brain-dead easy, if not invisible and auto-magic! (She's a brilliant woman, just not a computer person). So the idea is that while I manage almost everything computer and on-line related, I had hoped by virtue of a shared vault that should I get hit by a truck she could still auto-magically log into our banks, investments, insurance, nuclear missile sites, etc... What I gather from your comment is that to make this brain-dead easy (as in each vault syncs with iCloud and I don't have to set up something fancy), we'll have to stick with her vault and my vault.

Let's clarify this first before you help me get to whatever it is I need to set up! Thanks for your help - it's appreciated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Brenty- Sorry for the delay; my health sometimes abruptly stops my life, but I'm back for now! I have a 30 year old son named Bret who looks a lot like you. ;-)

@marc_mckenzie: Ah, thank you! I vaguely remember being thirty. ;) I'm sorry to hear of your health issues, but hopefully you're feeling much better now. And no matter what, it's no trouble as we're always here to help. :)

Let me describe what I'm trying to achieve first. I've used 1Password since I retired from Hewlett-Packard and switched to Apple. Its an absolute necessity if you really care about security and ease-of-use. So the only vaults that have anything in them are mine ("Private") and a shared vault I copied all of my private vault into. My intention was to have most information in the shared vault used between my wife and I, and things unique to us in our private vaults.

Great! I think we're on the same page there at least. That's actually just how we've designed 1Password Families memberships to work.

I think I'm picking up that the Apple decision with iCloud continues to dominate all thought - that is that everything in life ties to an individual. This is of course not true in real life. For example, I am a computer weenie and maintain everyone's computers (ours, our kids, my neighbors, hell - everybody). My wife is an on-going struggling user. If I want her to use something it has to be brain-dead easy, if not invisible and auto-magic! (She's a brilliant woman, just not a computer person). So the idea is that while I manage almost everything computer and on-line related, I had hoped by virtue of a shared vault that should I get hit by a truck she could still auto-magically log into our banks, investments, insurance, nuclear missile sites, etc... What I gather from your comment is that to make this brain-dead easy (as in each vault syncs with iCloud and I don't have to set up something fancy), we'll have to stick with her vault and my vault.

So, first and foremost I'll just say that you really should consider giving 1Password Families a try, for two big reasons you touched on:

• It greatly simplifies your job here: managing tech stuff for your loved ones. I can't emphasize that enough. I was quite happy with Dropbox until I discovered how much time 1Password Families saved me. You can manage shared vaults, and easily give them access to the stuff they need just day to day, but also if they lose you.
    • As easy as it makes things for you as a family Organizer, it makes things even simpler for your family: sharing vaults securely with your loved ones is built in, and they just appear in the apps for them through their accounts when you give them access. And recovery is a lifesaver.

iCloud is pretty great for syncing too...but you hit the nail on the head in that it isn't at all sharing-friendly, and it also can sync only a single 1Password vault. So in that case it would be easy for you to sync your own personal stuff between devices using your Apple ID, you'd have to use Dropbox to sync other vaults and share them with family members. I'm happy to help you either way, but I'll tell you upfront that I don't miss setting up each vault individually across all of my family's devices...

Let's clarify this first before you help me get to whatever it is I need to set up! Thanks for your help - it's appreciated.

Sure thing! So far it sounds pretty straightforward, but if there are caveats like old devices/OSes we need to take into account, be sure to let me know. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.