Android Trial Version Expired

Options
1pass_user
1pass_user
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Android

Have been toying with moving to Android from IOS and resurrected an unused Android phone, ported my data and installed Android 1password. Did a WLAN Sync when I first installed it to sync my repository from the PC. Trial version has just expired, and no longer usable.
I have a Windows/Mac license of 1password I have been using, with IOS clients on phones. I don't remember having to purchase the pro version on IOS to continue use, but seems I can't continue to use the Android version without buying a pro license, is that correct? Is there a difference in this regard between the Android and IOS versions? It is possible I had to enter my license information into the IOS clients, can't remember, but doesn't seem to be this possibility on the Android version.
I'm going back to my IOS device, but have tried to do a WLAN sync of the updated 1password repository on the weekend after getting the expiry notification, however, not working. Wondering if WLAN sync is also disabled after the trial expiry, if so, does that mean I have to buy the $15 license to get the modified data off my Android device?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1pass_user: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! When you purchase one of the 1Password apps, that doesn't apply to the others. More to the point, purchases on the iOS App Store don't involve licenses (they're tied to your Apple ID), and the Google Play store won't recognize them. There is no way to "transfer", and the only way to get all of the apps together is with a 1Password.com membership. It sounds like that would greatly simplify things for you, both as far as licensing and syncing — you'd simply sign into your account on each device to access your data. If you'd like to give that a try, shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here. We'll be happy to help you make the transition. :)

Alternatively, you can purchase the Pro Features in 1Password for Android to unlock the app, or simply use it in limited read-only mode. You'll still be able to sync your data to and from that device, just not make changes on it. If you're having trouble with that, be sure to let me know the specifics so I can help. Thanks in advance! :)

• 1pass_user
    1pass_user
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply Brenty. I haven't purchased a 'pro' copy of 1password on IOS was happy with the free version, was not asking about porting the license from IOS to Android, but interested in the differences between the 'free' versions on both platforms. The license I have is for the Windows and Mac versions.

Have had a good look at the pro version descriptions on both platforms now, and can see there is no reference in the IOS version that purchasing the pro version allows you to "edit your exjisting items". I didn't realise this would happen after the 30 day trial period of the Android version as the ios version stays fully functional, obviously didn't read the description closely enough. I think the description of the paid version as 'pro' is a misnomer, there is nothing 'pro' about being able to modify passwords or add new passwords, that's barebone basic functionality, just creates confusion between the Android and IOS versions. There is a 30 day trial version and a paid version, I can't think of any use cases where you'd want a read only version.

So what I primarily want to know now is whether the WLAN sync should still work after the trial expiry so I can get my new and modified passwords out of the trial vault and get them back onto my ios device and PC. I havent been able to get it to work, although the android pro description does not mention sync as a pro only feature. Trying to sync with V4.6.2.626 running on PC.

Any other way of getting the updated vault off the phone besides paying the AU$14.23 ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the reply Brenty. I haven't purchased a 'pro' copy of 1password on IOS was happy with the free version, was not asking about porting the license from IOS to Android, but interested in the differences between the 'free' versions on both platforms. The license I have is for the Windows and Mac versions.

@1pass_user: Ah, sorry for misunderstanding! Indeed, you can find a list of the differences between free and paid on our support site:

https://support.1password.com/premium-features-faq/

Have had a good look at the pro version descriptions on both platforms now, and can see there is no reference in the IOS version that purchasing the pro version allows you to "edit your exjisting items". I didn't realise this would happen after the 30 day trial period of the Android version as the ios version stays fully functional, obviously didn't read the description closely enough.

Indeed, sorry for the confusion there. App store rules are different between the two, so we adopted different strategies.

I think the description of the paid version as 'pro' is a misnomer, there is nothing 'pro' about being able to modify passwords or add new passwords, that's barebone basic functionality, just creates confusion between the Android and IOS versions.

If it helps, it was called "Premium" before, but that confused people too. Can't please everyone, I guess, but we'll keep trying! It's "pro" in the sense that a lot of novice users don't make heavy use of 1Password on mobile devices, use it just as a reference; they're not adding and organizing data there, so I think it's nice that it's free for that use case.

There is a 30 day trial version and a paid version, I can't think of any use cases where you'd want a read only version.

Our previous Android app was only a reader, so many customers wanted to continue to get access to their 1Password data for free on their mobile devices with that caveat. So there's some historical baggage there. I agree that it would be better to start with a clean slate and have more consistency in a future version, but that would be a big change for us and our customers.

So what I primarily want to know now is whether the WLAN sync should still work after the trial expiry so I can get my new and modified passwords out of the trial vault and get them back onto my ios device and PC. I havent been able to get it to work, although the android pro description does not mention sync as a pro only feature. Trying to sync with V4.6.2.626 running on PC. Any other way of getting the updated vault off the phone besides paying the AU$14.23 ?

Sync should work, but with WLAN it depends on your network environment being configured correctly. Have you tried it? If you're having trouble, please be specific about the issue you're having. This guide will walk you through checking your setup:

If you’re having trouble using the WLAN server

Let me know how it goes!

This discussion has been closed.