Browser extension icon not working - just flashes black & grey

I have used 1password on my mac's for years. Recently it stopped working. The browser extension would give a message saying it couldn't connect to 1 password. Annoyed with this I updated to the latest version as a trial to see if that would help. It did..... but only for a few days. Now the browser extensions in Chrome and Firefox are both doing the same thing. They sit there flashing from black to grey and when clicked don't work as they should / just give a few items in drop down menu.

1Password Version: Version 3.8.20 (build 31499)
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90 on chrome
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Browser extension icon not working - just flashes black & grey

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@scottyc: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! You seem to be using a VERY old version of 1Password for Mac. So I'm guessing what you updated was the 1Password browser extension. Unfortunately a lot has changed since 2012, so these can't work together — and 1Password 3 does not work well with newer OS and browser versions which did not exist when it was made many years ago. You can find some more details here:

1Password 3 legacy support information

But the short version is that for 1Password to work with your browser and OS, you'll need to upgrade it. Both Chrome and Firefox are using Native Messaging now, and that didn't even exist until fairly recently, and we added that to 1Password just last year. However, you can get up to date with a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits, and if you'll shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here, I'll be happy to help you make the transition. Cheers! :)

• prosim
    prosim
    Community Member

Just wanted to give you a heads up, I just had this issue too - but with everything latest and greatest installed. Was happening on both Firefox and Chrome. After restarting a couple of times and waiting, it just seemed to come back on its own. But wanted to let you know since it didn't quickly fix after a restart, like usual.

Likely an effect of the Jan 6 app update since the post above is from that day. Chrome Version 63.0.3239.132, Firefox 57.0.4 (64-bit). All extensions updated (just installed on Firefox today), and I could see the Jan 6 update completed in the app store. I'll report back if it reoccurs.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prosim: Thanks for reaching out! I thin we may be talking about different things though, as this discussion is about 1Password 3, which simply cannot work with recent browser releases. There definitely wasn't an update for that this year! It sounds like all is well for you now, but if you encounter any further issues be sure to let us know the details so we can help. :)

This discussion has been closed.