Transferring from MacBook to iMac

Options
Andria Michele
Andria Michele
Community Member

Hello!

I have exhausted all my options so here I am.

I am moving from an old laptop (OS X El Capitan 10.11. 16) to a less old iMac (OS X High Sierra 10.13.2).

I attempted migration assistant, but it won't let me choose the few apps I want to transfer and when I did a full restore the new computer was having the same problems as the old so I don't want to go there.

I also attempted following 1P's suggestion on iCloud syncing to the new computer, but that didn't work because 1P is not downloaded on the new computer and I don't know how to do that without getting caught in a subscription (and the article didn't say I needed to do that either).

Since purchasing 1password years ago, you have gone from one payment to subscription. Since I paid hefty fee once and never really used it (couldn't figure it out - the instructions then were to complicated), it's not a justified expense for me to pay again in a subscription every month.

However, I'm hoping that I can figure it out now as I know people that absolutely LOVE it and it does seem like a wonderful idea. It's a new year, after all, and everybody deserves a second chance. ;-)

Soooo... I really, really really want to become a happy client, but I really need to start by getting what I paid for transferred to the new computer to see if I can get it to work. Is that possible, or should I just give up and move on?

I wondered if I signed up for the 30 day trial and then did a sync if that would reset back to my original payment or if I would get caught in subscription-land, and then cut off after 30 days... ??

I have the time to put into this right now so I thank you for your response!

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andria Michele: Sorry to hear you're having troubles with transferring data to a new Mac. That can be tricky sometimes, and Migration Assistant doesn't always get everything right.

Since purchasing 1password years ago, you have gone from one payment to subscription.

Not really. In the intervening time, we have released 1password.com which is indeed a subscription service, but existing licenses still will work for the version for which they were purchased. And in a recent blog post, we committed to continuing standalone vaults and licenses for the upcoming 1Password 7 as well.

You have a couple of options for transferring 1Password data to a new Mac. Can I ask: what version of 1Password are you using on your existing Mac, and have you been syncing your data? If so, by what method?

• Andria Michele
    Andria Michele
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Lars!

Thank you for getting back to me!

That is good to hear about standing by us folks! I really want to love it 1P. lol

1Password version 6.8.5

As I mentioned I never really got it to work properly. I did enter in 38 items (so 1P tells me), but I just remember it being so complicated and confusing and I was so stressed with other things at the time, I couldn't sort it out so I never really used it. To be honest, I think I tried to tackle it a few times.

"new" computer, new year I thought I would try again. lol

So maybe I wasn't "syncing" and that was the problem? I don't know what to tell you. I'm hit or miss when it comes to technical things.

I only tried the iCloud syncing thing because it was suggested as a way to move from one computer to another.

Let me ask you this: if I do the one month free trial and "restore" my back-up file, would that reset things to the standalone license or do you think I would then be sucked into the subscription?

And I get the subscription isn't all that much, it's just that I've already paid and it hasn't worked for me yet so it doesn't seem a prudent course of action, plus I'm in between careers at the moment. If that makes sense.

Thanks again for the help!!

Andria
    :-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andria Michele No one is getting "sucked into a subscription," though it is certainly the easiest and most-flexible way to use 1Password these days. Your existing license will still work for the current version of 1Password, however, so if you prefer to continue using 1Password as a standalone app and managing your sync manually, that's definitely an option as well.

If you're not sure you did things correctly back when you gave 1Password a go last time, then especially if you think or you know the 38 or so items in your old 1Password vault aren't likely to be of any value to you, the easiest way by far to go about this will be to simply download and install 1Password on your new Mac and start over as a new (standalone) user. After all, there's not much point in putting yourself through a bunch of effort to move over a data file that's old or inaccurate or contains nothing you need.

If you think or you know you DO need some of the data in that old 1Password vault, let me know and we'll move forward from there.

Assuming you're willing to start fresh instead, my next question is: what do you see when you launch 1Password on your new Mac? If it's the welcome screen, just click on More Options and then Create Standalone Vault. You'll be asked to choose a Master Password, and this will create your default vault (called "Primary"). From there, you'll be off and running. I'd recommend reading over our tutorial on Saving, filling, and changing your passwords, which will show you how to install the 1Password extension in your browser(s) of choice and how to save and fill logins for your favorite websites.

Let me know how that goes, or if you want to try bringing over that previous vault onto your new Mac.

This discussion has been closed.