Make 1password.com vault the primary vault

Options
asteroid
asteroid
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Mac

The situation:

I'm at work and my iMac is accessible for all people in the office.

I have 1Password set up with two vaults:

1. My personal 1password.com account which has one vault called "Personal".
  2. My "Work" vault which is shared with the whole company, which is being synced through Dropbox.

The problem: The Work vault is the primary vault, and of course everybody in the company knows the password. Since it's the primary vault, it's being used to unlock 1Password. Which also means that everyone with access to my computer can potentially see everything in my Personal vault.

Solution I thought of:
1. Change the master password of the Work vault. Problem: If I change the master password of the Work vault, the change will sync to Dropbox and my coworkers won't be able to unlock their vault anymore.
2. Removing the Work vault so that the Personal vault becomes the primary vault. Then re-add the Work vault. But when adding local vaults, they always become primary vaults again.

What to do? I want to make sure that nobody has access to my Personal vault.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.5
Sync Type: Dropbox and 1password.com

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@asteroid,

If you have local vaults turned on, the primary vault will always be used to unlock 1Password.

The only scenario that you'd be able to switch what is used to unlock is if local vaults aren't used at all and instead you have two 1Password.com accounts, one for work and one for personal. In that scenario the first account in the list is used for unlock.

Rudy

• asteroid
    asteroid
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I kind of fixed it with a workaround. I created an empty new local vault which is the primary vault. Then I added the Work (Dropbox synced) vault as a second vault. The third vault is still my Private 1password.com vault.

Now 1Password asks for the password of the empty vault, which is different from the one of the Work vault.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@asteroid -- that will do it, certainly. Glad you've come up with a solution that works for you!

This discussion has been closed.