Backup Failed. Error Domain

Options
bradmo
bradmo
Community Member

Hi. I'm administering my dad's computer.New mac air. Safari. Worked great for 1 month.

Back up error: 1Password failed to create a backup: Error Domain. NSCCocoaErroDomain C....

I've tried quiting/restarting 1Pass Mini. No change.
Restarted Mac. No change.
Re-installed 1pass . No change.
Reinstalled 1password extention in safari. No change.

All off his data/passwords are present. Nice! But the backup errors are driving him nuts...which is in turn driving me nuts.

Please help me from a domestic fight. : )

Brad in Denver.

PS.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.2
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Backup Failed Error Domain

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @bradmo - I certainly don't want 1Password being the source of any domestic turmoil. ;) Sorry to hear your dad is getting that error message! Have him try this: from the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. You'll need to re-unlock 1Password, then go to File > Backup. See if you still get the error message.

• bradmo
    bradmo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars. I've done that several times. Also restarted mac, reloaded 1password. Still getting the errors.

Pretty please...do you have other ideas?

• bradmo
    bradmo
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your help. And forgive this possible double post.
    I have restarted the mini with no change to the problem. Likewise with restarting the entire computer, and reinstalling the software. Files and Loggins look fine.… But we are getting a back up error still ...Even when trying to back up manually after all of the above fixes.
    Many thanks and advance!

• bradmo
    bradmo
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your help. (And forgive this possible double post.)
    I have restarted the mini with no change to the problem. Likewise with restarting the entire computer, and reinstalling the software. Loggins look fine.… But we are getting a back up error which is making my dad crazy. Which in turn makes me crazy.

Thanks. Would love more ideas for a solution....cheers.

Bradmo

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bradmo: Ah, then either the backup location is invalid/nonexistent, or there's a permissions issue there. If you go to 1Password Preferences > Backup > Show Files, what do you see?

• bradmo
    bradmo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I took a screenshot. So grateful for your help. :

I see a bunch of backups. : )

Brad

• bradmo
    bradmo
    Community Member
    Options

One more screen shot. : )

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bradmo - looks like some of those backups stretch back nearly three years. What are the permissions on the Backups folder? If the folder exists but 1Password can't write to it, the reason may be because it doesn't have write permissions any longer. Can you highlight that folder and type ⌘i (Command + I) to Get Info, and tell me what the permissions are (at the bottom of the info window)? Thanks.

• bradmo
    bradmo
    Community Member
    Options

Ok...figuredit out! Here is the screenshot. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bradmo - thanks for the legwork on that, I appreciate it. However, it's not as conclusive or even as revealing as I'd hoped. One more thing I'd like you to try before we dive considerably deeper: Open 1Password Preferences > Backup and click the Backup Now button. See if you're able to make a manual backup, and let me know how that goes. Thanks.

• bradmo
    bradmo
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, I am unable to "backup now." I just creates the same error.
    Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bradmo - yeah, that's what I was afraid of. :(

OK, at this point, the next step would be for you to download our Troubleshooting Tool. You can get the latest Mac version right here. Open it and run Permissions Repair, then restart your Mac and see if that makes any difference. Once again, trying to rule out things before moving on to larger ones.

If that doesn't work, then use the same tool to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/85703/backup-failed-error-domain#latest
    • Your forum username: @bradmo

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• bradmo
    bradmo
    Community Member
    Options

What!? Ok, used it to repair the disk permissions. BINGO! That worked.

Also found a thread eslewhere abour repairing disk permissions in Terminal: I used: diskutil resetUserPermissions / id -u

SO...THAT might have worked. Either way, I appear to be up and running. Sheesh.

Do you have any idea what creates these errors? (my dad is a total novice and would never remove helper files, and he couldn't change permissions even if you told him exactly how to do it. : )

Would love any ideas...trying to make my dads life...and MY life..easier.
    Bradmo

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bradmo: Ah, yep, that'll do it. Just as I had suspected. :sarcastic: :lol:

It's certainly possible that your dad was poking around and changed the permissions himself accidentally...but it's equally (perhaps more) likely that some other app messed things up. Pretty much anything not from the App Store has fairly broad powers to change file permissions and even delete data. Scary, but that's how computers have worked since, like, forever, so the hard part is walking that back to be more restrictive (e.g. sandboxing) for better security.

Anyway, so glad that repairing the permissions did the trick! Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.