Cross browser 1Password X

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited December 2017 in Lounge

What is the timeline for a cross browser 1Password X? I would be interested as, for example, a 1Password for Android replacement. Chrome is incapable of extensions but Extensions from Android can be run on Chrome Desktop. Kind of odd when Chrome desktop already supports its own extensions.

Firefox for Android does support extensions.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Hmm. The technology (and horsepower) isn't there on mobile, but perhaps that will change in the future. We're really pushing the limits of Chrome with 1Password X already, so it may be a while before something like that is possible on mobile devices...and before then I know we have plenty of folks who would love us to port 1Password X to Firefox, Vivaldi, Opera, and perhaps others. Only time will tell. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

LOL and don’t forget Safari on the MAC!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I totally did forget Safari, as we've (blessedly) not received requests for that. That's good because its extensions frameworks have lagged behind the other browsers in recent years. Here's hoping Apple gives it some love in the future though. :blush:

• jchw
    jchw
    Community Member
    Options

I, like many, have migrated to Firefox upon release of Quantum, at least mostly. The fact that I'm also someone who uses Linux sometimes makes this especially cruel, since I would've absolutely died for this extension on Chrome months ago. Obviously, since this is my only option, I'm happy to have it, but still lusting for the 'perfect' setup for once and for all.

With browsers (sans Safari) converging toward WebExtensions, it seems there couldn't be a better time for 1Password X to have been released. Since obviously there's no point in asking for details about a timeline or road map, I would like to ask one thing: is it something that has been considered from a development standpoint, or is this extension purely being developed for Chrome only?

Partly asking just so there's more information out there. Googling left me empty. If nothing else, it'd be helpful to get an official "Don't count on it" for now :)

(Just out of my own curiosity, I did plop the extension into Firefox to see what happened. It looks pretty, but the login does not work. About what I expected to be honest, but again, curiosity...)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jchw: It's definitely on our radar. Can't make any promises regarding 1Password X for Firefox or any others, but we're pretty browser-agnostic here. A big reason we developed 1Password X for Chrome initially is that doing it in Firefox won't help people with Chromebooks. While Chrome might not be everyone's favourite browser (regardless of the majority), on Linux at least there are different browser options. And we'd like to have more too with 1Password in the future as well if we can. ;)

• Sophie
    Sophie
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Firefox extension.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, Sophie. It is something I personally would like to have as well. :+1:

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi

Chrome in spite of having Android presence doesn't have extensions which work in Chrome for Android but Firefox does have extensions for Android. Which is a reason for 1Password X to work with Firefox at least for me.

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• sarath
    sarath
    Community Member
    Options

I started using 1Password with Chrome of late. I would say the experience is excellent and I can nearly forget about 1Password Mini, especially on my secondary machines. I never thought of 1PX until I started using Linux and almost all my passwords are generated ones. However, I use all three browsers Firefox, Safari, Chrome (less these day). Cant' wait to see this on all major browsers. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hear you! Unless Apple has some big stuff to announce this year, it won't be in the cards for Safari, sadly, as the extension frameworks available there are very limited compared to the others. But with Chrome and Firefox supporting the WebExtensions standard going forward, maybe that will change. And if not, both of those and their derivatives offer a lot of flexibility regardless of the platform. Cheers! :)

• sarath
    sarath
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @brenty. Why was Google Chrome selected to develop 1Password X? Is it because it is popular or any specific technology/technical reasons?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sarath: It's the number one browser by a wide margin — not talking preferences, but raw statistics. It also has really robust extension APIs, and allowed us to simultaneously add support for two additional platforms: Linux and ChromeOS. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

Sadly, Safari extensions appears more of an afterthought these days although Apple announced the iMac Pro but did you check out the prices! Insane.

• Ben
    Options

Hopefully we’ll continue to see Apple evolve Safari to keep up with Chrome. :)

Ben

• digitalfiz
    digitalfiz
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Any chance of there being some kind of early access beta program for Firefox? :P While I know chrome is the most popular by far that bloated beast is becoming to much to run. While Firefox just recently went through a major overhaul making it a speed monster again. I'd love to beta test something if it was available.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@digitalfiz: We don't have anything new for Firefox right now, so no. If that changes we'll be sure to announce it though. :)

• akano
    akano
    Community Member
    Options

Also looking forward to a standalone firefox addon, since the standard one doesn't work so hot on linux.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@akano - LOL, it doesn't work at all, since it requires a local app that doesn't exist for Linux. 1Password X is in its infancy (though it's growing day-by-day), so who knows what the future holds. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Firefox version of 1Password X. :)

• akano
    akano
    Community Member
    Options

Right, that's what I mean =p
    (Though there have been attempts to run it in wine...)
    I also attempted to run 1PX as a FF webextension, but that didn't go too well, it didn't seem to pick up the signin.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yeah Firefox is something we hope to support in the future, but there are enough differences between browsers that it will take some additional work. Looking forward to it though. :)

• salvoza
    salvoza
    Community Member
    Options

1Password X for Opera please. I'm finding Chrome to be a bit bloated for me compared to opera

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! We'd like to be able to support that and others going forward as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.