Lost: have license, don't know how to get into 1PW. Don't have sign in addr

Options
Ed_Michels
Ed_Michels
Community Member

Very light user in the past. License, use dropbox. License has been confirmed, but can't get from there to opening 1PW on my MAC. (MAC died and has been replaced.) Just downloaded apparently latest version on 1PW 6 for MAC.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Lost: have license, don't know how to get into 1PW. Don't have sign in addr

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ed_Michels: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account you can sync your data from another device or create a new vault. I've resent your license information via email, so just follow the instructions there to install and register the app.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. If you'd like to try that, shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here. I'll be happy to help you make the transition.

Either way, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Ed_Michels
    Ed_Michels
    Community Member
    Options

I have a license, for 1Password 6 for Mac. I used it very sparingly a while ago, did not try to learn it. Might have tried it last summer. Could get in then. Have dropbox, also a novice user at best. In the fall my Mac died, bought new one. Files recovered via dropbox. (Again, not knowledgeable - could have made mistakes.) Have downloaded 1PW6 at least once since then. May have tried to access 1PW in the fall, not sure. Letting Apple keychain do passwords by default - not studied.
    Now mounting major effort to manage PWs. Decided 1PW is the path.gGetting organized, reading, etc. Thus the current effort.
    In attempts this morning to get into 1PW 6, get "failed to unlock. Cannot load keychain profile." I do think I have my correct master PW, but I suspect I'm not getting that far. Now what?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ed_Michels - I'm not sure what you may have done, but if you're pretty certain that there is no data within 1Password that you need, you can use these instructions to Start Over on your Mac.

If you were syncing via Dropbox, then as soon as you start over in 1Password, the next time you launch it, choose Dropbox from the Welcome screen, and you'll be presented with the options for proceeding. Choose Dropbox and use your Master Password. If it doesn't work, try these steps to see if you can recover it. If you can't, you'll need to go through the steps to Start Over once more, and from there, you can click More Options and then Create Standalone Vault.

• Ed_Michels
    Ed_Michels
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Will go thru it later today, and report back.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ed_Michels Sounds good! We'll wait to hear. :)

• Ed_Michels
    Ed_Michels
    Community Member
    Options

Running well on a new vault. Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear it! It sounds like you should be in good shape, but we're here if you need us. Have a great week! :)

This discussion has been closed.