Three Cheers for MacOS Touch ID with 1Password

fourwheelcycle
fourwheelcycle
Community Member

I just got my first MacBook Pro with Touch ID. I used it to set up my user login and then when I used 1Password for the first time I realized I could also use Touch ID to open or unlock 1P.

I previously set 1P not to lock each time I dropped the lid on my Mac between uses, which I realize is not the the most secure way to use 1P. Now I have it set to lock each time I drop the lid and when I come back and click my 1P toolbar icon for the first time it lets me unlock quickly with Touch ID.

Hint: At first I found it somewhat of a bother to use Touch ID with my right index finger - my index finger is shorter and I have to move my hand further to the right, away from the keyboard, to use my index finger. Then I discovered MacOS will let me set up two different fingers! Now I use my longer middle finger and I don't have to move my hand so far to the right to use it. I encourage everyone to try Touch ID with their middle finger - or maybe this is not news to everyone else, just new to me.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thanks @fourwheelcycle.

I too found that once I had a Touch ID enabled Mac I could crank up the security settings. I used the opportunity to lock the app more frequently and I also switched to a longer Master Password as I would have to enter it less frequently.

Just make sure you don't forget your Master Password. Touch ID is not a replacement for knowing your Master Password, and just like macOS, you'll periodically need to unlock 1Password for Mac using your Master Password as opposed to Touch ID.

Rick

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

Well, I've been busy and am just now checking the forum. I was inspired by these entries to add:

Just before Thanksgiving I set up a new MacBook Pro with Touch ID. The first non-Apple app I install is Dropbox with two important directories: My Command Procedures and Apps/1Password. I must report my extreme satisfaction as I unlocked 1Password for the second time and found Touch ID worked. Of course, I had been spoiled by the use of Touch ID for 1Password on my iPhone. I'm only using 25 characters for my master password, but Touch ID had removed tiny keyboard issues on the iPhone and, now, I can let 1Password lock at will on the MacBook Pro, making it more secure without aggravating my carpal tunnels.

Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I find myself giving my computer the wrong finger from time to time too. Imagine if I got a Mac with Touch ID! :lol:

But in all seriousness, I'm really happy to hear how much easier Touch ID and 1Password have made your computing life — and perhaps health! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. :chuffed:

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

@fourwheelcycle, I find that my right thumb works well for Touch ID, especially when I am first opening the lid.

@rickfillion, I don't worry about forgetting my master password, just fat-fingering it, especially on the iPhone.

@brenty, I only have the wrong finger problem when dealing with many web searches. :lol: Now that I have a couple of months with Touch ID on the MBP, my liking is even greater. I really appreciate applications that use it, like 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Heh agreed on all counts. Glad you're enjoying Touch ID in 1Password! Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.