Need Licensing Help for Family Plan

davebeller
davebeller
Community Member

Need licensing help, please. I was an early adopter and bought the family plan years ago. I've been having trouble connecting my daughter's account with a license. Now, her account is frozen. Once I figure this out, I need to do the same for the rest of the family. Have put this off way too long. Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: don't see this
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.2
Sync Type: I use Dropbox but open to others

Comments

• davebeller
    davebeller
    Community Member

Also, since she's fairly new to 1Password, I opted to start over for her, however, I want to do the right thing for my license. Would it best for me to choose 'I'm a new user' for her or choose one of the options for 'used 1 password before'? I believe, since I've purchased this license, you've rolled out other syncing options like 1password.com. Isn't that a monthly fee? I'm hoping I'm grandfathered in and don't have to pay this monthly fee. I'm happy to sync with Dropbox of iCloud. Please advise. Thanks!!

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

Hi @davebeller

You can't have purchased the family plan years ago because it didn't exist; it's relatively new. You talk about connecting your "daughter's account with a license" - licenses don't exist in the family plan. It could be that you purchased multiple licenses years ago.

1Password have recently introduced a new service called 1Password for Families. You'll know if you've got this type of account because you'll have a secret key / account key.

If you already have an account (they're billed monthly) then follow the instructions here to setup multiple users. To move across existing data, follow these instructions.

If you don't have an account then you can signup for one here.

If you want to purchase a standalone licence (i.e. one-off payment for the current version only, only valid per user, on the purchased device) then click here. This is not recommended any more.

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

I've seen your second message @davebeller, our wires crossed as I was typing.

It seems like you purchased the "family pack" all those years ago and not a "family license". I think that included 5 users.

There's no ability to be grandfathered across to the new service although if you want to continue using what you've already paid for, drop an email to support@agilebits.com and they'll sort you out. :)

• davebeller
    davebeller
    Community Member
    edited July 2021

I purchased, in 2014, a family plan. I would attach the receipt here but I can't seem to attach a PDF. I've tried attaching a screenshot. Please let me know if you see it. I really don't want to pay again, or monthly, for something I thought I had already purchased. Please let me know if you don't see the image. Oh, and thanks for the speedy reply! :-)

• davebeller
    davebeller
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

Also, I've had some family accounts set up in the past but user adoption was slow (as were updates) and I'm really wanting to get them all onboard (3 kids, 1 wife). :-). I was told by 1Password when I purchased that this was the best option for my growing family.

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

@davebeller

Yes, I can see the image. That's for 1Password version 4 although I noticed that you stated in your first message that you were using 1Password 6.8.5 hence the confusion about family licenses. You have the very old "family pack" although providing you've got sufficient users remaining then you should be able to continue using 1Password version 4 - however the sync would be via Dropbox.

Any how, if you drop an email through to support@agilebits.com they'll be able to sort you out as they've got all your licence details.

I don't think any AgileBits staff are on here at this time of night so there'll be a short delay in them getting back to you. I'm a user (the same as you) so you'll need to send an email to get things moving. :)

• davebeller
    davebeller
    Community Member

OK, I think I understand. And I'm totally fine with Dropbox. I'll reach out to Agile. So, my purchase was version 4. Does that mean I won't be able to update, when I get prompts to update? And, now that I have a newer version, what does that mean? Do I need to roll back? Thanks!!

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

@davebeller

It sounds like you've inadvertently upgraded to a newer version. AgileBits can confirm/deny this.

The license you purchased back then was the "family pack" which was for 5 users. The idea was that you'd share the license amongst five family members living in the same household. Because of various issues with third-party cloud providers AgileBits introduced their own, more secure cloud sync service.

1Password 4 (and your licence) was perpetual. That means you're entitled to use it forever, or until the software stops working because of updates that Apple have pushed out over the years.

When 1Password introduced 1Password for Families fairly recently, they did away with the confusion of using third-party services and hosted the service themselves. The principal difference, apart from the added security, is that it's a recurring subscription ($4.99 per month) for 5 users.

With the new 1Password for Families service you get all the latest apps, without the need to pay for an upgrade, on as many devices you want. So if you use 1Password on a Mac you also get the Windows version, Android version and iOS version all included at no extra cost. There's no perpetual licence available (hence the original confusion) although as long as you pay the $4.99 per month, 5 of your family members get to use it on unlimited devices and you don't need to rely on Dropbox.

If the subscription model isn't for you then you can still use your existing licence for as long as your computer still runs 1Password 4 or you can pay for another perpetual licence as and when you're ready. However that licence is for a single user and costs $64.99. That's why most people prefer the $4.99 per month ($59.88 per year) model if they've got multiple users. Individual users can pay $2.99 for themselves.

Does that mean I won't be able to update, when I get prompts to update?

Yes.

Unless the update was specifically for 1Password version 4 which I'm pretty sure is obsolete now anyway.

And, now that I have a newer version, what does that mean? Do I need to roll back?

That's something you should discuss with AgileBits.

The last thing I want is for you to lose any data so if you get in touch with them they'll be able to look at your account and see what you've done. They'll hopefully be able to get you back on track.

• davebeller
    davebeller
    Community Member

Thanks! This certainly clears up a lot, however, it's unfortunate that what I purchased is basically obsolete and will probably be unusable sooner or later, with impending OS updates. :-(

• Hi @davebeller,

Since we may need to get into some specifics about purchase details etc I think it would be best if we continue this conversation via email. I see you emailed in on an existing conversation that you were having with Laura. One of us will be in touch shortly in reply to that email to address your remaining concerns.

Thanks.

Ben

ref: WTF-59293-135

This discussion has been closed.