Single user considering family subscription - how do I.....?

Options
creativedogmedia
creativedogmedia
Community Member

I have been a single user for years and love it. Here is my setup. I have a home office with an iMac (no other users) and I have a shared iMac in our family office (with 3 users, my wife and I share a login and my two daughters have separate logins). I use Chrome across all platforms and my wife uses Firefox from the shared computer.

I am looking for the best way to have separate but some shared secure notes and logins. I want her to be able to open Firefox and have the extension allow her to use 1Password when she is browsing but for me to be able to come in and open Chrome and use my separate vault. What is the best way to go about all of this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @creativedogmedia! A 1Password Families account is most definitely the way for you to go, now that you've got four of you all potentially using 1Password (or if the daughters aren't yet, they will be soon!). You can sign up for a 1Password Families account right here. All accounts come with 30 days free so you can really test out whether it's for you.

If you personally have already been using 1Password, first of all, thanks! :) To switch to a 1password.com account, you'll want to migrate your data from your existing local vault(s) into the new 1Password Families vault(s). You can put your own personal or work stuff in your own Private vault, and the stuff you want to share with your wife in the family-wide Shared vault. Or, you can do what I did and take it one step further, leaving things that the entire family (including kids) can access in the Shared vault, and then create a new vault (maybe called "Parents"), which contains things for just you and your wife, but not the kids. The possibilities are truly near-endless.

In terms of accessing your data, on your office Mac, there's no issue since you're the only user. You can install 1Password for Mac and use it in your own user account without worrying about who else uses the computer. On the family office, perhaps the easiest solution would be for you OR your wife to take over the current user account (on the Mac, not 1Password account) and create a new user on the Mac -- that way each of the four of you has his or her own login to their own user account on the Mac. Native 1Password for Mac works like other Mac apps in that it will only show you your data, not everyone's, That's how your iTunes library can be different from your daughter's, even though you're both using the same app: iTunes.

If you don't want to give up the "joint" user account on the family Mac that you and your wife share, then, since you're a Chrome guy and your wife is a Firefox woman, you could install 1Password for Mac on that Mac. Your daughters would each have their own logins within their own user accounts on the Mac, but in the joint user account, let your wife set it up for herself. You wouldn't be able access it (since it would be her data and Master Password), but she could use it in Firefox.

Since you're using Chrome exclusively on that Mac, however, you could take advantage of the brand-new 1Password X. This is a Chrome-only app that connects directly to your 1Password account without needing the local app to work (like all other versions of 1Password do). So your wife could use native 1Password for Mac and Firefox with her 1Password data, while you - using Chrome only - could use 1Password X.

I promise you, that all made sense. ;) However, if it was a mite confusing, let us know and we'll try to clarify it for you. :)

• creativedogmedia
    creativedogmedia
    Community Member
    Options

Great, very helpful. Do I still need to have the 1Password application running on any of my computers at this point? Also, the emergency document that gets generated - if someone gets that document alone, they have access to all of my account information except for my master password, correct?

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member
    Options

@creativedogmedia

If you're using the new 1Password X then you don't need a separate application installed. If you're using a Chromebook then this is the only option you'll have anyway. The new 1Password X also runs on Linux desktops assuming you've got Google Chrome installed.

However if you're running a Windows PC or Mac then you should really install the proper desktop apps (along with the browser extension) as they're more mature, stable and have more features.

A simple way of explaining the secret key - if somebody gets hold of it, they have half of your encryption key. Without your master password the secret key is useless. It's really important not to lose either because you risk losing all of your data. Therefore, even with your secret key they can't see all of your account information - they can see nothing because they won't even be able to login.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@creativedogmedia In the scenario I gave, you would have 1Password for Mac on what you described as your "Shared iMac." Your wife (and potentially daughters) would use this. But because the user account on that account is shared between you and your wife, she would use the 1Password for Mac app, but you would use the 1Password X extension. That way you can each have separate data/sign-ins while using the same user account on that iMac.

Your Emergency Kit is used as a backup, in case you can't sign in for some reason. How you choose to store it is up to you, but we usually recommend somewhere very safe, like an actual floor safe or a safety deposit box at a bank. Some people write their Master Password down in the space provided as well -- which would indeed give anyone in possession of the document everything they needed to sign into your account. That's why we say to keep it private and secure. You could skip writing the Master Password on the Emergency Kit if you choose, which would - as @darrenNZ said - make it impossible for anyone obtaining it to sign into your account. But it would also mean that if you forgot your Master Password, YOU would not be able to sign in, either.

Which brings me to my next point: you should absolutely make your wife a Family Organizer. In 1Password Families, anyone who is an Organizer has the ability to recover other members' accounts if they can't sign in. When you set the account up, you became an organizer by default, but you have to make other people Organizers manually. Open your account in a browser and click the Members tab. Choose your wife, and underneath her name, click "Family Organizer" instead of "Family Member." Then, if either one of you can't sign in, the other can recover your account.

ref: GCD-84712-464

• creativedogmedia
    creativedogmedia
    Community Member
    Options

In the Mac application, how do I remove the Dropbox stored vault now that I am utilizing the subscription model via families?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@creativedogmedia: If you've got all of your data in your 1Password.com account (please double check to be sure — https://start.1password.com/vaults/all ), you can disable local vaults in 1Password for Mac under Preferences > Advanced so you'll only have the account there going forward. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• creativedogmedia
    creativedogmedia
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.. I just added one of my daughters to my account. I have my private vault and a shared vault that was setup for my wife. It appears that she can now see the shared vault. How can I only share the shared vault with my wife and create another shared vault to share only with my daughter?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@creativedogmedia: You might want to consider removing the Shared vault completely in that case, as anyone you invite will be automatically added to it. That's really convenient in many cases, but certainly not all. First, create a new vault to share with your wife:

Create and share vaults

Move anything you only want the two of you to have access to there...

But you may find that you have some things left over that the whole family can use: Netflix account, garage door and/or alarm codes, etc. In that case, keeping the Shared vault will leave those accessible to both your wife and daughter...and allow them to also add items there to share with the whole family as well. Cheers! :)

• creativedogmedia
    creativedogmedia
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I actually had her scan the QR code in my emergency kit and it set her up as if it were me. She could see my private vault and the shared vault. I added her to the account, she acknowledged and I confirmed. How would she then sign in?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@creativedogmedia: Oh. I'm sorry I misunderstood. I thought you we're trying to invite family members to your 1Password Families plan, as Lars mentioned earlier. It's up to you if you want everyone to be using your account, Master Password, and all of your private data, but you're welcome to invite them to setup their own accounts under your plan:

Share 1Password with your family

Just sign into 1Password.com in your browser and click "Invite People" or "Invitations" on the right to send them. They can each use their invitation to setup their own 1Password.com account with a Master Password of their choosing, a Personal/Private vault of their own, and access to any other vaults you share with them. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

• creativedogmedia
    creativedogmedia
    Community Member
    Options

I made a changed to a secure note yet my wife doesn’t see the change. I havecaprivate vault and a shared vault and this note sits in both. Do I have to make that change in both vaults?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @creativedogmedia

Items cannot exist in multiple vaults. You may have a copy of the item in another vault, but as far as 1Password is concerned that is an entirely different item, and updating one will not update the other.

It may not be necessary to have copies of the item in both vaults, since you’d have access to both.

Sorry for any confusion on that point.

Ben

• creativedogmedia
    creativedogmedia
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Ben. So if my wife and I want to make changes to a shared vault, one has to make a change and then tell the other what the change is? Seems like a lot of work on our part especially when the new subscription model seems geared towards cloud sync of all of the data.

• Ben
    Options

@creativedogmedia

No — you’d simply make the change within the Shared vault. i.e. instead of copying items there, move them there, so that the only copy exists in the Shared vault. That way whenever one of you changes the item the change happens there and both of you will see it.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• creativedogmedia
    creativedogmedia
    Community Member
    Options

@ben got it. So there really isn’t a reason to have a private vault and a shared vault containing the same items. In this case, I’d keep this note in a shared vault, remove it from my private vault and then choose to show all vaults in the app/plug in.

• Ben
    Options

That’s what I would do. :+1: :) If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.