Master Password not working on 1P Mac

Options
jd007
jd007
Community Member

Hi. Okay, so I guess it is possible that I have suddenly forgotten my master password after a couple years of using the same one, but it's extremely unlikely. But for some reason I cannot get in to 1P on my Mac using that password!

The hint matches with what I am entering. I don't have caps lock on; I checked my keyboard is all ok by typing the same passphrase in a sticky note to see the characters are all working.

I am able to access 1P by using the fingerprint log in on my iPhone and iPad, but of course I'd like to be able to get in on my Mac for filling passwords in Safari.

Is there any other reason that could be causing this issue please? Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• jd007
    jd007
    Community Member
    Options

Well I tried again later and it worked. Not sure if what I was doing wrong but happy that it's working now.

• timlong
    timlong
    Community Member
    Options

I believe that I have tried every combination and permutation of what I believe my password is but have had no luck opening the one password vault. I do not want to change my email is there any way I can receive additional help?

• aglouise
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hey @jd007, I'm so sorry to hear you were having trouble accessing your 1Password app with your Master Password, however, I'm so happy to hear you're back up and running. If you have any questions in the future please do not hesitate to get in touch. We're here to help!

Thanks for reaching out to us, @timlong. For your privacy and security, your Master Password is known only by you. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the Master Password. If there were, that would be a security hole that could be exploited to gain access to your secure information.

We have published a troubleshooting guide on our support page that will help you try to recover the password or figure out what to do next.

Let me know how you get on!

In the meantime, happy holidays everyone! :)

• timlong
    timlong
    Community Member
    Options

I am not yet open running. I deleted the application from the app store on my iPhone and tried to begin again but have not been able to enter the vault. I just received my bill for renewal but if we cannot get this resolved then I am going to need to decline payment. Thank you Tim Long

• timlong
    timlong
    Community Member
    Options

sorry --- not yet up and running

• jd007
    jd007
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @timlong , @louise_ was referring to my original post when she said she is happy about being "up and running". You may like to start a new post about your issue so you can get personalised attention there, rather than as an added comment to another person's issue. Wishing you all the best in getting it solved. PS thanks @louise_

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member
    Options

You should start a new topic @timlong but here's generic advice.

I just received my bill for renewal but if we cannot get this resolved then I am going to need to decline payment.

Saying you're not going to pay will only affect your subscription. It won't get you help any sooner.

I believe that I have tried every combination and permutation of what I believe my password is but have had no luck opening the one password vault.

Then you've forgotten your password. Unfortunately you're locked out and the only solution is to delete your account and start afresh. There are no backdoors into 1Password.

My advice would be wait a few days and you'll probably remember it.

• timlong
    timlong
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@timlong: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble you're having! Do you have your Emergency Kit saved somewhere with the information you need to access your data?

(Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

ref: KPE-57296-688

• rpr
    rpr
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same issue of master password (which I certainly remembered correctly!!) suddenly not working anymore. I think the problem started pretty much right after updating from version 6.8.4 to 6.8.5. Noticed that there is a background process "2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper" running on the Mac even though I had quit the application otherwise. After killing that process and restarting the app, everything was back to normal.

• TomFalk
    TomFalk
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here since last update. Killing the "helper"-background-process made login possible again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rpr: Thanks for letting us know! It sounds like it had nothing to do with your Master Password, but 1Password mini could not connect to try to decrypt. Is that where you were entering it?

@TomFalk: Can you elaborate? Which OS and 1Password versions are you using, and how and what did you kill exactly?

• TomFalk
    TomFalk
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, I'm using 1Password 6, Version 6.8.5 (685004), AgileBits Store on Mac High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C88). I killed 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper (7821) via Terminal kill -9 pid

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me! Just wanted to make sure you weren't on Windows, or using a different version. That may help others as well. :)

• Gelaend
    Gelaend
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have the same problem since updated to 1Password 6, Version 6.8.5 (Mac) 10.11.6. The masterPw wich I´m using since years and using several times daily is not working anymore on iMac and MacBook. Only iOS app with fingerprint still works. I´m not sure how to kill the helper process. Should I just enter the command line "kill -9 pid" in the terminal?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Gelaend: Restarting the computer will work, or quitting 1Password while holding Control and Option, since that will close it completely. Let me know if that helps!

• Gelaend
    Gelaend
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I guess you meant quitting 1 Password mini. Unfortunately both options didn´t work out. Is there an option to create a new database and vaults with new masterPW and import from iOS?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I guess you meant quitting 1 Password mini.

@Gelaend: I meant "Quit 1Password and 1Password mini", which is the option you'll get in the 1Password menu if you hold ⌃ and ⌥.

Unfortunately both options didn´t work out. Is there an option to create a new database and vaults with new masterPW and import from iOS?

Yep! Follow the instructions here to reset the app and then you can sync the data from your iOS device.

This discussion has been closed.