Feature Request: remember per-login password generator recipes

edifyyo
edifyyo
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Mac

BLUF: 1Password should optionally remember and re-use login-item-specific password recipes, instead of using only the recipe that was last used anywhere (globally) within 1Password.

I really like and rely upon 1Password's password generator feature, but have been encountering the following frustration: I have accounts on several different systems that require frequent password changes and which have very specific (and different) password requirements. For example, one system requires a password to be EXACTLY eleven (11) characters long, must contain NO symbols (only letters and numbers), and must contain EXACTLY two numbers. I normally generate very strong passwords for other systems, and the password generator as currently implemented defaults to the last password recipe used ANYWHERE within 1Password... so each time I have to change my password on these particular systems, I have to manually set the recipe to these (rather ridiculous) requirements. This isn't the end of the world, but it's a frequent annoyance and point of friction in a utility that otherwise only makes my life easier and more pleasant!

It would be so helpful if 1Password could remember and re-use the specific password generator recipe used for a particular login - perhaps this could be turned on via a checkbox along the lines of "Always use this recipe for this login".

Thanks!
Nate

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.2
Sync Type: 1Password for Teams

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@edifyyo - thanks for the suggestion! That's actually something we've heard before, and we're considering it for inclusion in upcoming releases. I personally like this concept, but I don't have anything to share as far as a timetable for when you might see such a thing. However, keep an eye on updates or -- if you're feeling adventurous -- go to Preferences > Updates and click "Include beta builds" to be one of the first to get access to new or experimental features; that's where they'll show up first.

• edifyyo
    edifyyo
    Community Member

Thanks, Lars. I love the work you guys are doing - keep up the awesomeness!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@edifyyo - thanks so much for the kind words as well as the support. A lot of people here work pretty hard to make 1Password as useful as we can, and it's always great to hear from users that they think we're getting it mostly right. You guys rock. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.