Using Dropbox sync. Installing 1password on new iMac.

Options
lecycliste
lecycliste
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Mac

I have a vault saved on dropbox from my macbook. I have installed and licenced 1password on new imac.

Now, I go to preferences on iMac and try and sync to this dropbox vault. I get a message saying to review vault info before merging then to enter a vault password to merge. I know my vault password. I have rechecked it. But when I try and enter the app makes a deep beep sound and nothing happens. No merge, no error message, no wrong password message, just a deep beep. I can't even hit the cancel button to escape. I just receive the same beep.

Help greatly appreciated,

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:new vault merge dropbox stuck

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lecycliste - I'm sorry you're having trouble with Dropbox sync just now! Can you tell us: is the keychain an Agile Keychain, or an OPVault? Also: do you still have access to 1Password on the MacBook?

• lecycliste
    lecycliste
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

THX FOR RESPONSE. yes, I still have access on the other Mac. In fact, I tried reversing things and merging VAULTS from the mac and had the same issue. Sorry, not certain I understand the question, but the vault file type is .Opvault,

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@lecycliste thanks for the extra info. I'd like you, on every device that has 1Password syncing with this OPVault, to disable sync. If that's just the two Macs, this will be easy, but if you have also an iOS device or two, don't forget these. When sync is turned off everywhere, on your MacBook, drag the OPVault out of your Dropbox folder (to the desktop is fine). Then, still on your MacBook, return to 1Password Preferences > Sync and set up Dropbox syncing as if you were new to it. This will create a new OPVault file in whatever location you select in your Dropbox folder. Give it a few moments to fully sync, then return to the iMac and attempt to connect to this new OPVault. Let us know how it goes!

• lecycliste
    lecycliste
    Community Member
    Options

thx for response. I disabled sync on an iPad, iPhone, the iMac, and Macbook. I deleted the dropbox file (moved it to hard disk). I set up vault sync at dropbox on macbook. I waited until sync was finished and the dropbox sync also finished on my iMac. Tried setting up iMac and encountered same issue. Screen just beeps when I enter vault password to merge. The only way out is to force quit 1password as I can't use cancel button on the merge screen. Stuff just beeps when I hit enter or cancel.

Question: The vault password is the same as the password I use to open 1password, yes? I have set same password on both iMac and Macbook versions of 1password just in case I am entering the incorrect one.

I suppose I formerly had sync on other devices that I know longer have access to (old iPhone, old Mac) that I didn't disable sync.

Any other ideas? Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@lecycliste I feel as if maybe I misunderstood you initially. If this is a brand-new iMac, it should not have any 1Password data on it. Correct? If that's the case, then you certainly should not be getting asked to merge anything. Presence of a merge request indicates that you do have 1Password data on your iMac, and are being asked to merge two dissimilar vaults. Sometimes in certain conditions, that should be exactly what you need to do -- but if this is a brand new iMac, it shouldn't be happening.

On the iMac, if you're able to open 1Password and unlock it with your Master Password, what data do you see inside? Is there anything of value that A) you need and B) is NOT already part of your 1Password data on your MacBook? It's sounding as if you may have created a new vault on the iMac after you first installed 1Password, instead of just connecting with Dropbox initially. If you have no data in 1Password on the new iMac - or nothing you need, anyway - you can go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data, which will do exactly what it says, and then quit 1Password automatically. The next time you launch it from your Applications folder on the iMac, 1Password should present you with the Welcome (new user) screen. From there, make sure you choose Dropbox and locate the OPVault you already have created. You should be asked for your existing Master Password. Let us know how that goes for you!

• lecycliste
    lecycliste
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Thanks again, I appreciate the detailed help.

Originally, I had imported a back-up file on the new iMac, and then tried to set-up dropbox sync ... I then repeatedly ran into this merge issue.

I followed your latest advice and reset 1Password on new iMac and started over, setting up the vault as the existing Dropbox file.

And ....... it worked.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in defining the problem, and thank-you for the excellent support.

A+

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lecycliste - Aha! That would definitely give you exactly the result you were describing. :) No worries, I'm glad we were able to sort it out. Backups are excellent tools if you need to restore after a catastrophe, but if you've got a working sync file, there's usually no need for one: just install 1Password, go through the first-run, and choose whatever sync service you're already using. Easy. Glad we got it untangled! Enjoy your weekend.

This discussion has been closed.