migrating account from lost computer

jubelirer
jubelirer
Community Member

left my laptop on plane. 1Password on phone (which I have) is synced with laptop and is current. Now using an older laptop, with 1P 4.4.3. I need your help with the following:

1) Need latest version on this laptop - how to get it updated?
2) MOST IMPORTANT: how do i sync the up-to-date vault that is on my phone over to this laptop?
3) Since missing laptop is in Delta's possession, I should change the password vault. What order should I do steps 1, 2, and 3?

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: OSX
Sync Type: WLAN
Referrer: forum-search:left my laptop on plane. 1Password on phone (which I have) is synced with laptop. Now using an older laptop, with 1P 4.4.3. I need your help with the following: 1) Need latest version on this laptop - how to get it updated? 2) MOST IMPORTANT: how do i sync the up-to-date vault that is on my phone over to this laptop? 3) Since missing laptop is in Delta's possession, I should change the password vault. What order should I do steps 1, 2, and 3?%20Need%20latest%20version%20on%20this%20laptop%20-%20how%20to%20get%20it%20updated%3F%202)%20MOST%20IMPORTANT%3A%20how%20do%20i%20sync%20the%20up-to-date%20vault%20that%20is%20on%20my%20phone%20over%20to%20this%20laptop%3F%203)%20Since%20missing%20laptop%20is%20in%20Delta's%20possession%2C%20I%20should%20change%20the%20password%20vault.%20%20What%20order%20should%20I%20do%20steps%201%2C%202%2C%20and%203%3F)

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

@jubelirer

left my laptop on plane.

Ooooh, ouch. I hate to hear that. :(
    The big factor here will be if that older laptop can run at least OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"). Can it? If so, you'll be able to upgrade to 1Password 6 for Mac. Here are the system requirements for the various versions of 1Password for Mac.

If you're not hardware-limited to what you can upgrade the OS to, do that first, then upgrade 1Password. Once you're done with that, install 1Password 6 for Mac if you can, then with 1Password running but locked, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data (assuming there's nothing in 1Password on this older Mac that you still need which isn't already saved somewhere else). This will reset all the data, and when you re-launch 1Password 6 for Mac, you'll be presented with the Welcome (new user) screen. From there, choose More Options and then Create Standalone Vault. This will create a new, empty Primary vault in 1Password on this Mac. Then go to Preferences > WLAN Server and turn on the WLAN server. Use these instructions to get 1Password for iOS on your phone set up to sync your Primary vault this way as well, and that will "pull" all the data from your iPhone into 1Password on your older Mac.

If you were previously using WLAN from the now-lost Mac to sync your data with the phone, you'll have to temporarily switch the sync off before turning it back on, because you'll be changing sync sources from the newer Mac to the older one. Just click "Disable Sync" in 1Password for iOS, wait a second or two, then turn it back on, and it should work from the older Mac.

Once you've done all of that, you should be able to change the Master Password on your older Mac's copy of 1Password and it should sync over. Let us know if you run into any issues.

P.S. - this is merely a piece of information, not a suggestion, but if your existing Master Password is long and strong, it should survive having been in Delta's hands. There's no way to derive your Master Password from within 1Password or its data file, so unless you had it written down somewhere else on your Mac in cleartext, you may not need to change it. If you're uncertain, though, you may wish to do so anyway.

ref: RVC-19572-643

This discussion has been closed.