Just bought new iMac Pro... can't install 1Password

Options
moehio
moehio
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Mac

Trying to set up new machine and of course need 1Password to do it.

I have the version purchased directly from AgileBits... not the AppStore.

Been a member since 1Password 3 for Mac.

Got as far as downloading 1Password license from the website... but when I drag that to the screen with the arrow, nothing.

Tried to sync my iCloud Keychain.... nothing.

Tried to sync my Dropbox keychain... nothing.

Every time I try to enter my Master Password in the app on my desktop... it shakes its head no and turns red.

This is the same password I use to log into the iMac right beside it. (The one I'm replacing)

So frustrated... been on this for about and hour and a half because its like a guy having to stop and ask for directions.... I refuse. But I think I'm stumped. Please help.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.2 (High Sierra)
Sync Type: License

Comments

• moehio
    moehio
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Ok, so to clarify... I read the instructions on how to "resend license" and filled out my email address.

AgileBits sent me an email that had a link that says: Click here to Apply Your 1Password License.

So I "clicked here" and it downloads a copy of the 1Password license.

No instructions on what to do from here, so I'm guessing...

So the web page pops up and it says "Trial Expired" and gives you the options to Add License or Buy Now.

I click Add License and nothing happens. Just the Mac beep sound.

If I try and drag the license file that was downloaded from AgileBits to the arrow/downcircle graphic, nothing happens.

I'm stuck.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @moehio, and thanks for being with us since version 3! Sorry you're having trouble applying your license into the new version of 1Password for Mac.

Starting with version 4 of 1Password for Mac, we switched from a traditional serial number-style license key which you have to manually type into an input field to license 1Password, in favor of a license file. This is what you've been downloading. I'm a little surprised it didn't work, but one idea might be that you have to have 1Password running and unlocked before you click that link -- if you do, it should download and install itself automatically. Did you try it under those conditions? If you're not sure, try it now.

If you know for certain you did try it with 1Password 6 for Mac running and unlocked, please try restarting your Mac and give it one more go after restart. Let us know how it goes!

• moehio
    moehio
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, I rebooted and believe I followed your steps. Still does nothing. The safari extension shows it in READ ONLY mode and when I click the APPLY LICENSE button in the email, it downloads the file, and then pops that screen up to apply license and when I do hit APPLY LICENSE it just beeps. Nothing happens. I took a screen video to let you see if I'm indeed doing it correctly.

https://cl.ly/2z2B1L2Y142J

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@moehio - thanks for taking the time to record a screencast, and also for mentioning that you're in Read Only mode.

The only time 1Password for Mac can be in Read Only mode is if you've downloaded 1Password from the Mac App Store instead of from us. Mac App Store copies of 1Password do not have licenses because they're tied to your Apple ID. That's why you can't apply a license: because you're not using a version that accepts one. What threw me off initially was that you said "I have the version purchased directly from AgileBits... not the AppStore."

However, our version of 1Password would be called 1Password 6, while the Mac App Store version is called simply 1Password, which is what I see in your screen recording. Please use these instructions to switch to the version of 1Password from AgileBits, then the license application should be quite simple. Let us know if you have any questions.

• moehio
    moehio
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thank you Lars. That worked to a T. I didn't realize the un-licensed software was different whether allocated from AppStore or from your Website. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Thought... wouldn't it be a hell of a lot easier on everyone if they just allowed people such as myself the ability to simply download the newest version of the software from the AppStore and use their current license? I realize you guys are going the way of the monthly fee instead of purchasing outright... but seems you could simply allow the software to work with a viable password. Those on subscription wouldn't have a need for the feature, but that way everyone is on the same software from the same place and all these steps and confusion would be unnecessary. Just wondering.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@moehio

...wouldn't it be a hell of a lot easier on everyone if they just allowed people such as myself the ability to simply download the newest version of the software from the AppStore and use their current license?

Definitely. But that's not how the Mac App Store works; we as developers of an app distributed there can tell Apple what to charge, etc, but we can't make them recognize our out-of-Mac App Store licensing. However, with that said...stick around: I think you'll like what's coming up in 1Password 7. :) It won't be exactly what you asked for, but it will accomplish much the same thing.

I realize you guys are going the way of the monthly fee instead of purchasing outright...

Not really. In fact, we've committed to keeping both local data and standalone license purchases in 1Password 7 precisely because we want to make as many of our users happy as possible, and we know some people prefer standalone/local to 1password.com or cloud-based sync, just as some people prefer purchasing from us instead of the Mac App Store or vice versa.

Anyway, glad to hear you were able to get things working again; that's the main thing. Enjoy your weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.