Failing to read one time password QR codes with a space in the issuer parameter

Options
rpalomino
rpalomino
Community Member

As a software developer, I've been using a website to generate QR codes for testing integration of multi-factor authentication.

I tried to create a new 1Password login item and use 1Password's one time password feature to read the QR code and generate one time passwords to test with my application. 1Password seems to have trouble reading or parsing the URI of a QR code that contains a space in either the label of issuer sections. Removing any spaces from the label/issuer causes 1Password to immediately read the code successfully. That being said, if I leave the QR code reader open for too long, it appears to get stuck and refuse to read any QR codes, even if I close the QR reader window and open it again.

I can link the website that I am using to test this feature, if necessary. QR codes from the website in question do work to import accounts into both the Google Authenticator and Authy Android applications, and they generate correct one time passwords.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.2
Sync Type: None

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rpalomino Thanks for reporting. A space is not a valid character in a URI, which means it should be %20 encoded. I'm betting if you edit your strings that way, you'll have success with 1Password's Setup Code reader. Let us know! :)

• rpalomino
    rpalomino
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Thanks for the pointer. I had also attempted %20 encoding but without success when I posted this earlier. It seems to have just been that source that I used to generate the code, I've switched to using the qrencode program and no longer have issues reading the %20 encoded URI in 1Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rpalomino Glad to hear it! I'll pass along your experience to our team anyway; we'd like to make sure we've got as broad compatibility as possible.

This discussion has been closed.