Setup & use of "families" on a Mac running standalone version.

bom13
bom13
Community Member

Folks
After a recent visit to my parents to help them with some Netflix & iTunes account issues, it became quickly apparent to me that they are in desperate need of 1PW's services. As a result I will be purchasing a families license and I will setup their vault, input all their items, and store their master PW and security key in my own current standalone vault. In effect I'll be their sys admin and they will simply use the software after I train them on it's use. I've got to make it as absolutely simple as possible for them to use on their Mac & iPads.

I am a longtime (standalone) 1PW user and have read up on the family plan and how to setup/share vaults, etc.
My question....can I open & establish the family account on my existing Mac which is running the standalone version of 1PW 6 for Mac (details of environment below). Will this interfere or conflict with my current standalone environment?
1Password - Version 6.8.5 (685003) - Mac App Store
Mac - macOS High Sierra - 10.13.2 (17C88)
IOS - 1PW Vers. 7.0.4
Sync Method - local via WLAN
Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2018

Hi @bom13

While you certainly can do exactly that, I’d really highly encourage you to join them in the family plan. Since it sounds like you’re just planning on having the two of them on it, and the family plan pricing includes up to 5 people, it wouldn’t cost any extra for you to have an account. You’d then get the advantages of membership as well, and also be able to be an organizer on the account which will allow you to assist them in recovering forgotten Master Passwords or lost Secret Keys. Additionally you’ll have first hand experience with the service so when they have questions you’ll be more familiar.

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Does that make sense? Please let me know.

Ben

• bom13
    bom13
    Community Member

Ben thanks for the quick response. I recognize that the Agilebits business model moving forward is towards a subscription based model and that those on the 1PW team are encouraged always to direct potential (and existing) customers in that direction. As an active reader of the forums that is most evident. Although, I have read that standalone will be continued to be supported, at least in the future T.B.A. Vers. 7. I am perfectly content with that and my current environment.
    Per my note, and as a longstanding 1PW customer, I fully understand the differences between the standalone & subscription model. I also understand from a business perspective why your company is moving in this direction and what that entails from an internal marketing and messaging perspective. Also, yes you're right, initially I just plan on having my parents on, but eventually I'll be adding my wife on to the account. To your additional point regarding familiarity, I certainly hope the subscription app's are not so dissimilar to the standalone version, that I would have any difficulties addressing basic user questions, and the setup and mgt. of their vaults. Certainly nothing I've read about managing a family account would indicate this. I am not concerned with them recovering forgotten master passwords or secret keys, since I will be doing all the setup & admin, and once those are established, I will add them to my existing private vault for safekeeping.

So we're back to my original question, which is....can I open and setup the new family account on my personal mac, without messing up my existing standalone 1PW environment? A "Yea" or "Nay" would be appreciated. Can they co-exist on the same machine?
    Thanks
    Brian

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2018

Brian,

Yep; you certainly can do exactly that. :) Also: just as a point of clarification, the apps are the same for standalone and membership. How they function will be different based on if you’re on a membership or not, but it is the same software either way.

Ben

• bom13
    bom13
    Community Member

Ok Ben...got it....and thanks for the info...much appreciated!

• You’re very welcome. We’re here to help if you have any further questions along the way. :)

Ben

• bom13
    bom13
    Community Member

Hello Ben....I setup my family plan last night. I have started building my parents vault for them, and this morning I have added my wife to the account. I downloaded the Mac version and set it up on her machine, and did the same for the IOS version on her phone.
    Here is my question. I would like to import/move my current vault data to her newly created "private" vault. A vast majority of my current (standalone) vault data is our shared websites, credit cards, bank accounts, passports, etc..etc. I obviously don't want to add every item separately. I have my (standalone) vault backed up on several places in the "OpVault" format on a usb drive and dropbox. I also have the standard 1PW .zip backup file on my Mac.
    Is there a way for me to get that data into her vault in one move/import, as opposed to essentially creating a copy of my current vault on an item by item basis? I did some digging around and saw that 1PW can also import a .1Pif file (created from a Mac export). Could I export my vault and them import it into her account this way?
    Thanks
    Brian

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bom13 And here we are again. :)

I would like to import/move my current vault data to her newly created "private" vault.

1Password Families is a great way to share data with family members. In fact, it makes it so easy, I'm not sure why you'd want to do things this way specifically.

If you've got your own vault already in your copy of 1Password for Mac, you can move items into any other vault you wish. The items you want to share with your wife you'd presumably want to place in the Shared vault, right? Or perhaps in another vault that you create for only yourself and your wife? If so, just use the instructions at the above link to securely move (as a group) any items you like into the Shared (or other) vault you share with your wife. No need for complicated restoring of backup vaults or exporting/importing. Or did I misunderstand the issue here?

• bom13
    bom13
    Community Member

No Lars...you got it right and that is what I'm trying to do. I figured it out that I could use the "copy/move" feature to move things from my private vault to the "shared" vault on 1PW,com. My plan is to then move those items from the "shared" vault over to my wife's private vault (via login from her machine), as I don't want them "shared". I'm hoping the net result is that she will now have what's needed in her private vault (from mine), and she'll be able to then start managing her own vault on her devices.

• bom13
    bom13
    Community Member

Hopefully last question on this install :) . When I use the "copy/move" feature to get items from my vault to the shared, will the "categories" move with the items. In other words if i select all items in the "credit card" category to copy to shared, will those items show up under "credit card" category in the "shared" vault? I checked nd could see no way to "copy/move" an entire category....just the items in the vault.
    Thanks
    Brian

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

@bom13 - You can definitely have your wife move items out of the Shared vault and into her own Private vault, as long as you both understand that will mean you will lose access to those items, since you cannot access her Private vault (only your own).

Categories are always present. Each has a different set of fields within it, so merely transferring or copying items from one vault to another doesn't run the risk of turning a Login item into an Identity or a credit card. So yes, transfer without regard to category; they will show up in the right place.

• bom13
    bom13
    Community Member

Excellent!...thanks Lars.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bom13 You're quite welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.