To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do I get secret key?

Options
gregwoods
gregwoods
Community Member

Hello, I would like to sync my 1password account across all devices. The 1password website tells me the easiest way to do this is signing into 1password in each device's apps. For this a need a secret key. Where can I get this secret key please? It is very unclear. I have the following account details and have looked all over for this secret key.

Thanjs
Greg

1Password 3 for Mac
Single License
Name: Greg Woods
Key: XXX
Download: https://agilebits.com/downloads
Register: Select 1Password > License… and paste the above information.

1Password 6 for Mac
Family License
Name: Greg Woods
Download: https://agilebits.com/downloads
License: Click here to Apply Your 1Password License
Notes:

Your 1Password 6 license entitles you to use 1Password 4 and 5 as well which use the same license file as 1Password 6.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gregwoods A Secret Key is part of a 1password.com account, but is not available in standalone 1Password. There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain on your device.

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1password.com sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

In other words, the standalone licenses you've purchased in the past are not the same thing as a 1password.com membership/account. You've been using 1Password in standalone mode with local data, which works perfectly well. But a 1password.com account is indeed the easiest way to have your 1Password data available everywhere. An account also has numerous other advantages. If that sounds good to you, you can create a free 30 day trial and test it out. Let us know if you have any questions!

This discussion has been closed.