To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I'm locked out of my Ubuntu desktop and can't access my emergency kit or security key! Please help!

Options
stevenmchoi
stevenmchoi
Community Member

I set up 1Password X on my Ubuntu machine and downloaded my emergency kit onto there. Now my Ubuntu desktop is inaccessible and I can't even reach the login screen. I'm trying to read the space from my Windows OS but I can't, and I think I might need to re-install Ubuntu. Before I do this, though, I want to see if I can get my security key some other way. Please help! Thanks.

1Password Version: X
Extension Version: X
OS Version: Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 16.04
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:security key

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stevenmchoi - Oh, no! I'm sorry to hear you're having that level of trouble, and even more sorry to think I may have to be piling on. For your security and privacy, we do not know your Master Password nor your Secret Key -- those are the secrets which, together, are used to generate the encryption key which reveals your data. We went to great lengths when designing 1password.com to ensure that not only do we not have these items, we lack the means to even acquire them. After all, we can't lose, misuse or abuse what we've never had.

The downside of that, however, is that if you have an individual 1Password account, or you're the only Admin or Organizer on a 1Password Teams or 1Password Families account, and you lose access to your Secret Key or forget your Master Password, your data are unrecoverable. The only ways around this MAY be if you had signed into your account in a 1Password app on ANY other type of device besides Ubuntu - did you perhaps (fingers crossed) install 1Password onto a PC or Mac? Maybe an iOS or Android device? If so, you can get access to your Secret Key there (and I presume you still know your Master Password). But if not, and if you are not part of a 1Password Families or 1Password account where an Admin can recover your account, I'm afraid our ability to help you is effectively zero. I wish I had better news, but those are the realities. :(

• stevenmchoi
    stevenmchoi
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Lars - Luckily, on my Windows OS, I have all my passwords in 1Password 4, but I don't see a Secret Key. Is this enough?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stevenmchoi So, yes and no. 1Password 4 for Windows works only with local data (standalone). It does not - cannot - work with 1Password accounts. So if you've got data there, it sound as if you may have created your 1Password account then copied this vault into your 1Password account. That means the copy in 1Password 4 for Windows on your PC is essentially the same as it was when you stopped using it, while it sounds as if the 1Password account that you've been using though Ubuntu is the one you've been updating.

To be clear: SOME passwords are better than NONE, of course. Have you continued to use 1Password 4 for Windows on your PC at the same time you've been using your 1password.com account with 1Password X in Ubuntu? Or has it remained essentially stagnant since you began using 1password.com?

• stevenmchoi
    stevenmchoi
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - So I've only been able to use my 1Password account on Ubuntu. While on Windows, I haven't been able to sign in on 1Password X, so nothing in my 1Password 4 vault is on my 1Password X account.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stevenmchoi I didn't make myself clear enough. Sorry. I know you can't use 1Password X with local data. Do you mean to tell me you've re-created your 1Password data in your account manually, and the two are completely separate data sets? If you're fairly certain that the data in 1Password 4 for Windows on your PC is accurate and up-to-date, then your choices are these:

1. If you have a Login item for your 1password.com account that includes Master Password and Secret Key saved in 1Password 4 for Windows, you can retrieve it there.
    2. If not, you might want to check whether you've ever used a browser on your PC to access your 1Password.com account, because if may still have the Secret Key stored in browser memory, which would then require only your Master Password.
    3. Lastly, if neither of those work, your current 1password.com account will be inaccessible. If that's the case, send us an email at support+forum@agilebits.com, asking for a deletion request email.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/410322#Comment_410322
    • Your forum username: @stevenmchoi

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your email in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down your email and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Thanks very much!

• stevenmchoi
    stevenmchoi
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - Thanks! I think I'll opt for the 3rd option. How fast would they be able to get back to me? Thanks for helping me!

• stevenmchoi
    stevenmchoi
    Community Member
    Options

My support ID is [#NBZ-61934-336]. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stevenmchoi - thanks! I've replied to your email; let's keep the conversation going over there. :)

This discussion has been closed.