multiple accounts - Standalone App

Options
VictoriaJZ
VictoriaJZ
Community Member

I have the standalone app on my machines, synced via Dropbox. I created a new 'account' so that I could have a 'new' account with updated data etc. and move information from my Primary account there and then jettison the Primary one at some point and use the new one. Both accounts are on my home iMac but they are not showing up on my Macbook Pro...I that something I can't do ? I'd like to be able to use either or both accounts on all my devices.

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@VictoriaJZ - you should certainly be able to view your 1password.com account data in any copy of 1Password 6 for Mac on any Mac that will support that version of 1Password for Mac. Please follow these instructions to sign into your 1password.com app on your Mac(s) and any other devices you'd like to use 1Password on.

You can then migrate your Primary vault data over to your new account right within 1Password for Mac on your iMac, and after you're done, go to Preferences > Advanced and deselect the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts."

• VictoriaJZ
    VictoriaJZ
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe I'm confused. I CAN get into my 1PW on my iMac and on my Macbook Pro just fine = in the iMac version both the Primary and 2018Cleaned accounts are present = but when I go in the MBP version the "Local Vaults" checkbox is checked and greyed out, so I can't uncheck it. I am not at my iMac now to see if it's like that there. Thanks for the info = I'll check into it on the iMac tonight and make sure it's properly set up =

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@VictoriaJZ

when I go in the MBP version the "Local Vaults" checkbox is checked and greyed out, so I can't uncheck it.

That's going to be because you have more than a single Primary local vault in 1Password on that Mac. Switch to All Vaults and see how many additional vaults you have outside of your 1password.com account. Unless you don't need any of the data in those additional local vaults, you'll probably want to migrate that, too, into (one of) your 1password.com vault(s).

Once you've done that, with that additional vault selected, you can visit 1Password > Delete __(name)__ Vault to delete these additional vaults. And once you're down to only the Primary vault, that option should no longer be grayed out.

• VictoriaJZ
    VictoriaJZ
    Community Member
    Options

That's the problem = when I click on Vaults in the Preferences it only lists the Primary one = not the 'new, additional' one that I created on my iMac...that's probably the issue and I'll check the iMac tonight when I get home to see how it is set up there == but for now the MBP prefs only lists the Primary vault and no more anyway

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@VictoriaJZ: Just to make sure we're on the same page here, you will only have an account if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. So you'd need to sign up for that first in order to use it to sign into the app. Otherwise, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• VictoriaJZ
    VictoriaJZ
    Community Member
    Options

That is helpful == I checked my iMac and though I had 2 Vaults I had not yet set up #2 to sync via DB so did that = I'm sure my failure to do that was the issue. I will look into the 1PW membership and maybe for families too [I nag husband and daughter about using a password manager incessantly but they don't seem to understand why it's a good idea...] but for now prefer stand alone and DB syncing and keeping it simple for me. Thanks for the patient explanations and now I'll double check the MBP prefs. and expect all will be fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@VictoriaJZ: Likewise, don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions! If it helps, 1Password Families has some benefits that can really be a lifesaver, especially if not all of your loved ones are as dedicated as you seem to be! Obviously sharing vaults with them can be really useful:

Share 1Password with your family

But being able to restore previous versions of items — and always having an offsite backup of your important data — is great for peace of mind:

View and restore previous versions of items in 1Password accounts

And last, not least, and hopefully you never need it, being able to help your loved ones recover their accounts if they get locked out can be the difference between a really bad day and a good one:

Recover accounts for family or team members

And, if it helps, 5 family members are included in the base price of a 1Password Families plan. Happy to answer any questions you have either way though. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.