Confused with Logins or Passwords Categories

vbphil
vbphil
Community Member

With the Windows program, when I select All Items and scroll down through the list I'll see what appears to be duplicate items, where one is a Login and the other a Password type record for the same web site. They won't always have the identical data in them. Why or how am I ending up with these multiple records for the same web site?

1Password Version: 6.8.492
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

When you generate a password on a create account page, it creates a password item. Always. This way you can go back and trace the password you made during the day in case something went wrong during a save login.Then when you actually accept the new login, it creates a login item.

I actually came by to make a feature request related to just this when I saw your post.

1) Since the trash can only be emptied whole (instead of one item here or there)
    2) Can we create a new category or something where we can save generated passwords?
    3) I tend to think of the password category as temp storage, except that I actually have items that are just passwords, so I am having some cognitive dissonance. (very stressful, lol)

Edit: for now I have an archive vault where I send/move items I want to keep but no longer wish to be searchable (deselected in all vaults). I move them there since I don't want to delete them just yet and too scared to delete trash without a thorough review.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AlwaysSortaCurious: Yes, an "archive" vault can be very useful for those of us who tend to hang on to things. :)

@vbphil: Indeed, Password items are created any time you use a generated password as an important safety net so you don't get locked out of an account even if you don't update/save the login.

But if you play with the password generator like I do, you can end up with a lot of extras when copying some with some random site open (I do this a lot here at discussions.agilebits.com ;) ). Tools > Remove redundant generated passwords can clean that up for you a bit though. Cheers! :)

• vbphil
    vbphil
    Community Member

I don't see a Tools menu. The windows10 version 6 of 1Password looks totally different than what I used to have. I upgraded my subscription to family with my vaults stored on your servers. When I implemented all that I ended up with a different Windows app with all the old menus gone.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

Hmmm... I only use my Mac occasionally, does it do that function across vaults? In any case, that would be a great feature in Windows.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vbphil: My mistake! I missed that you were on Windows. Indeed, the new Windows app doesn't have that feature. You can, however, safely delete any Password item for a site where you have a working Login item...but given how little Password items take up, there's no harm in not doing that. Because 1Password filters and sorts items, both when searching and when you open 1Password mini on a website (you'll only see matching Logins in that case), it isn't a high priority to bring this feature to Windows. Almost no one uses it on the Mac, and there are plenty of things we're working on that will help many more people.

• rkdietz
    rkdietz
    Community Member

now April 2020 and still no update for windows?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rkdietz:

Unfortunately the remove duplicate item tool is still only available in 1Password for Mac, as our developers worked on other features with higher priority. Sorry!

This discussion has been closed.