Problem syncing iOS app with Dropbox “Error Listing Keychains"

Nechama
Nechama
Community Member

I’m using the latest version of 1Password7 on iPad and iPhone and have been syncing to my 2 Macs (running 1Password 6.8.5) via Dropbox.

On the iPad (but not the iPhone), 1Password stopped permitting me to unlock the app via Touch ID. Security > Touch ID definitely was enabled. To trouble shoot, I disabled it and re-enabled it, but that didn’t help the Touch ID problem. I rebooted the iPad and that didn’t help the Touch ID problem. I deleted 1Password from iPad and re-installed the app. That DID fix the Touch ID problem.

The problem is that after I re-installed 1Password on iPad I tried to sync it via Dropbox. It said Searching Dropbox for Vaults and hung there. It didn’t progress although I gave it >30 min. I tried multiple times and kept on getting this result.

On Mac, I changed 1Password syncing from Dropbox to iCloud. On iPad, I changed 1Password syncing to iCloud, and all was good. But, I want to sync via Dropbox. On 1Password, I tried to set the Primary Vault sync back to Dropbox. This proceeded further than it had previously, as it quickly located my primary vault on Dropbox. When I selected that vault, it said Searching for 1Password data in DropBox. But then, I soon got “Error Listing Keychains. 1Password encountered a problem.” This has recurred multiple times.

What can I do? Thanks in advance for your help.

1Password Version: 7.04
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.2.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

@Nechama

Try creating a New Vault but use the same master password.

Then try and sync with Dropbox again - the instructions are here if you need them.

Hopefully this should resolve your issue.

• Nechama
    Nechama
    Community Member

@darrenNZ
    Would it make a difference whether I create a New Vault in iOS vs macOS?

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

Do it on the device which is refusing to synchronise with Dropbox @Nechama.

If it won't sync on any of your devices, then create the new vault on whichever device is most convenient.

Providing you use the same master password then it should pull your data down from Dropbox and decrypt it.

• Nechama
    Nechama
    Community Member

My iPad is the device that’s refusing to synchronize with Dropbox. I just went on the iPad and deleted 1Password again and re-installed. I created a standalone vault without any problem. I then tried to add my old vault from Dropbox (the one I’ve been using). I’m still getting “Error Listing Keychains. 1Password encountered a problem” on my old vault. Perhaps I have some sort of corruption issue, and my issue is different than what @oan reported in a prior thread. I emailed my crash log from earlier to customer support. Meanwhile, do you have any additional suggestions?

• Nechama
    Nechama
    Community Member

@brenty : I’m having the same problem as @awluter. I’ve been syncing with Dropbox for years. I deleted, and then re-installed 1Password on my iPad to fix a problem where 1Password didn’t offer me the use of TouchID to open the app, despite that option being enabled. After re-installing 1Password, I tried to re-sync with Dropbox. When 1Password got to "Searching Dropbox for Vaults,” it hung there. I’ve tried various workarounds for that problem (such as first creating a standalone vault, or temporarily switching the sync to iCloud.) Once I manage to get 1Password to find my Vault, it has given me the “Error Listing Keychains” error message (each time).

I followed the steps that you provided above to @awluter. That did not work for me at all. What should I try next? Thanks in advance.

• Hi @Nechama

All of the troubleshooting steps that we are aware of for this problem have been documented here:

If you're having trouble syncing with Dropbox

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Nechama
    Nechama
    Community Member

@brenty: What exactly does “Error Listing Keychains” mean / signify?
    Am I correct in assuming that at this point I just need to have an .opvault sync file, and I can (should?) get rid of the old .agilekeychain file? I’m syncing between Macs and iOS devices only (most recent iOS, and Sierra on my Macs)

On the general “If you’re having trouble syncing with Dropbox” directions, it says that
    “If the data you want to keep is on a Mac
    1. Reset the Dropbox data in 1Password on your Mac:
    Open and unlock 1Password.
    Choose 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    Select your vault and change the sync selection from Dropbox to None.
    Select “Delete your data from Dropbox” and click Disable Sync."

If I select Delete your data from Dropbox, will the data still be available locally? Or will it be totally discarded? Should I first copy the vault elsewhere, such as to my desktop?

The directions further state:
    2/ Make sure that Dropbox is turned off in 1Password on all your other devices:
    Mac: You’ll lose all data in 1Password on this Mac. Open 1Password and make sure it’s locked. Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and follow the onscreen instructions.”

When it says Open 1Password and make sure it’s locked, does Agilebits really mean that? Or should it say Open 1Password and make sure it’s unlocked? I found that confusing.

Thanks!

• OPVault is preferable to Agile Keychain, yes.

If I select Delete your data from Dropbox, will the data still be available locally?

Yes. Each device has a local cache of your data. This simply removes the sync file from Dropbox.

When it says Open 1Password and make sure it’s locked, does Agilebits really mean that?

Yes, we do. 1Password must be locked for this option to be available.

Thanks!

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What exactly does “Error Listing Keychains” mean / signify?

@Nechama: 1Password is sending a query to Dropbox for anything matching ".opvault" or ".agilekeychain". Either will work, but if Dropbox is telling 1Password there are none of these, 1Password won't be able to send a request for them — it won't know their location.

Let us know how it turns out!

• Nechama
    Nechama
    Community Member

@brenty: Under what circumstances would one get the “error Listing Keychains” error vs have 1Password say “Searching Dropbox For Vaults” and never move on from there? What’s the difference in these 2 events?
    Also, in response to your questions:
    1) Yes, Dropbox is installed on my iOS devices
    2) Yes, my iOS devices can find the .opvault file within the Dropbox app. This vault is appearing with a folder icon. Is that the way it should appear (given that the fault is not actually a file)?
    I’ll contact Dropbox now.
    BTW, I reset my Dropbox data, to no avail.

• Nechama
    Nechama
    Community Member

I just emailed Dropbox the following, and should get a reply within 3 days:

The error message “Error Listing Keychains” from 1Password means that 1Password is sending a query to Dropbox for anything matching ".opvault" or ".agilekeychain". Either type of vault will work, but Dropbox is telling 1Password there are neither of these.
    I’ve confirmed that I do have .opvault in Dropbox > apps > 1Password.
    On my iOS devices, within the Dropbox app, I can find the .opvault. It has an icon of a folder.
    Do you have any idea why 1Password on my iOS devices can’t find the 1Password vault kept in Dropbox even though I can access it from the Dropbox app on my iOS devices? BTW, I can find that vault on my Macs. Has something changed with how “files” of this type are accessed on iOS devices?

• Nechama
    Nechama
    Community Member

@brenty: Under what circumstances would one get the “error Listing Keychains” error vs have 1Password say “Searching Dropbox For Vaults” and never move on from there? What’s the difference in these 2 events? Do they both just signify that Dropbox couldn’t find the vault?
    If I first create a standalone vault, and then try to add my master vault, I get “error Listing Keychains.” If I don’t first create a standalone vault, 1Password says “Searching Dropbox for Vaults” and never moves on from there.
    I wonder if Dropbox changed the way this type of “File” is accessed on iOS devices, and if this has broken setting up a new sync on iOS devices.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

@Nechama

When viewing your keychain on a Mac does it look like a regular folder ? Something like this

Maybe its called something like, "1Password.agilekeychain_folder" maybe "agilekeychain_folder" or "folder_agilekeychain" possibly ? The name is really unimportant the icon, is the main piece of info I am curious about.

If it looks like a folder then, Its possibly a trivial fix.

or does it look like this icon ?

I am going out a on very long limb here. Its very likely not your issue.

• Nechama
    Nechama
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

@thightower: On my Mac, the vault looks like a 1Password icon: the vault is some type of package pretending to be a file. My macs can open my Dropbox vault in 1Password. On my iOS devices, the vault looks like a folder, and neither of these devices can open the vault.

I had possibly come across something similar with Scrivener files (actually packages) using a cloud service called Sync. I discovered that Scrivener packages are handled correctly only in Dropbox and not in competitor cloud services, such as “Sync."

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

Can you please view it on a Mac and confirm it looks like a folder. Post a screenshot of it, including sub folders.
    Please don't show sensitive information... showing the folder structure should not show any sensitive info.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

@Nechama

Post hidden in spoiler as it was found not to apply to the users situation.

What it is exactly, that I am reaching for, is you are using an alternatively named keychain thats not really a keychain but still is a keychain.... HUH you say. Don't worry it get's confusing. But is super easy to fix, provided we can prove its the issue your experiencing.

History,

It was common back when iDisk was around. The Keychain name was changed to facilitate better syncing for iDisk. I have not seen this for quite a number of years now, but it does pop up every now and then, but is extremely rare. Almost everyone converted the keychain back to its normal state once iDisk syncing ended. However some slipped through. I am wondering if your one of those folks.

If your keychain looks similar to this (next image) when viewed on the Mac then it can be fixed. This is a quick mock up of the structure that I want to confirm you are seeing. My mock up is not to be 100% accurate.

• Nechama
    Nechama
    Community Member

@thightower : As I said, on my Macs, the vault has an icon, and looks like a file rather than a folder. I’m having no problem accessing the vault on my Macs. I’m actually using (the newer) OPVault rather than Agile Keychain, and I have not changed the name of the vault 1 iota. I know that could be problematic. As recommended by Agilebits, my vault is in the following location: Dropbox > Apps > 1Password > 1Password.opvault
    No need for a screenshot, as the vault looks terrific on the mac.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@Nechama

I was working off the original premise aka when the .agilekeychain stopped being read and I missed the part where you had actually moved to opvault. So my post is not relevant in that case. Sorry about that.

• Nechama
    Nechama
    Community Member

No problem. Thanks for trying to help!

• @nechama,

Have you tried dragging the opvault out of dropbox and then back in again from your Mac? We've found that dropbox's transition from their version 1 to version 2 API that occurred late last year fails to "register" some files that pre-exist in your dropbox account when we access it via the new API. Its strange and impacts files that existed before they switched things over to the new API.

Rudy

• @Nechama

I do apologize, but the only assistance we're able to offer with regard to syncing via Dropbox is this guide:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/409700/#Comment_409700

If you've already tried everything there and have not had any better luck the best thing I could recommend would be to switch to a different sync service:

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

• Nechama
    Nechama
    Community Member

@rudy: I had done that, but I just now dragged my obvault again out of dropbox and to my desktop, and then back into dropbox again. It made absolutely no difference.
    When I tried to access my vault via dropbox on an iOS device, it just said Searching Dropbox for Vaults and hung there (crashed?). 1Password never found it.
    When I first added a standalone vault and after that tried to connect my normal Dropbox Vault, 1Password quickly found my Dropbox vault without any problem, but couldn’t open it, giving me “Error Listing Keychains."
    Updating the Dropbox ios app to the one that came out yesterday also made no difference. I”m still awaiting a reply from Dropbox re: these issues.
    Thanks for trying to help!!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Nechama - Good luck, and keep us posted; transitions of this nature can sometimes be bumpy initially. We'll do what we can to make sure the problem isn't on our end, but it's good to know what issues are out there.

If you're interested in a more-stable sync experience, we recommend a 1password.com account -- it's got many advantages, not just improved sync.

• Nechama
    Nechama
    Community Member

@Lars: Thank you. BTW, I am very well aware of the option of a 1password.com account. For now, I’m hoping to put off a 1Password subscription for as long as possible: subscription fees can really add up, so I try to avoid them wherever possible, preferring to buy apps and their updates outright. iCloud syncing actually is working well for me for me for now. One reason I was using Dropbox syncing over iCloud syncing was that my Agile Keychain was so gigantic, I had no room for it in iCloud. OPVault is so much smaller, which I really appreciate. Also, I was kind of forced into getting a $1.99/month iCloud subscription so I wouldn’t have to empty out my Apple mail so often. Wow, 50GB is giving me some room to breathe, unlike 5GB. All my devices are apple, and I still just have 1 vault, so I really might be okay for now with iCloud syncing. But I am curious about what changed that broke my ability to sync through Dropbox. If my needs change, e.g., if I need to use Travel Mode or if members of my family final agree that 1Password has benefits over Apple Keychain, and we want a Family account, I might start subscribing to 1password sooner rather than later.

• @Nechama,

Can you try updating to 1Password 7.0.5 on your iPhone and attempt that vault search again?

Rudy

• Nechama
    Nechama
    Community Member

With 1Password 7.0.5 on my iPhone, I’m still experiencing the same exact problems.
    That’s unfortunate as the description of the update suggests it would have addressed these problems.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

@Nechama: I've merged your posts here so we're not trying to have the same conversation in multiple places. That causes confusion and slows down the support process for everyone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

@Nechama: Is this what you're referring to?

Corrected a bug that made it impossible to set up syncing with Dropbox.

I'm not sure how that suggests it would help with your specific issue, and my understanding is that it's something else entirely. If it were the same thing, it would have been resolved for you. I'm sorry that doesn't seem to be the case.

Are you not able to setup Dropbox sync with a new vault? That could allow you to merge it with data from another. Did you try that?

• MrRooni
    edited January 2018

Good morning @Nechama. I'm terribly sorry that 7.0.5 did not fix this problem for you. I think I'll need to get a peek "under the hood" to have a better idea of what's going on. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/85844/problem-syncing-ios-app-with-dropbox-error-listing-keychains
    • Your forum username: Nechama

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• rvs007
    rvs007
    Community Member

@Nechama, I have the same problem and I'm so glad to find your thread describing the exact same issue. I've been trying to troubleshoot with 1Password support staff via email but we haven't found a solution.

Here's my setup: I use 1Password across a Windows 10 PC, a Mac, an iPhone X and an iPad Mini 4. A couple weeks ago, I decided to try switching to an OPVault instead of agilekeychain folder, so I backed up the 1Password data (from my Win10 PC), deleted the agilekeychain folder on Dropbox, and created a new vault (OPVault) in the same \dropbox\apps\1password\ folder, and tried to sync up my Mac and iOS devices. The Mac was able to find the new OPVault via Dropbox sync. However, I wasn't successful in resyncing dropbox to both my iPhone and iPad. I get the same "Error Listing Keychains" error when I attempt to sync with Dropbox.

Since then, I've tried to go back to using an agilekeychain folder but result is the same. I even created a new vault from my iPhone (an empty vault with the same Master Password as I used in the past), and tried syncing it to dropbox and it gave me the same "Error Listing Keychains" error.

The fact that I can successfully sync via dropbox between my Windows PC and my Mac shows the vault data is fine. The fact that if I create a brand new vault on my iOS device, and initiate a sync with dropbox and it fails (without involving my PC or Mac), clearly shows there is something broken with the way the 1Password iOS app communicates with Dropbox. And I've updated my 1Password iOS app to 7.0.5 and was hoping it would resolve this error, but it didn't. So I am in the same shoe as @Nechama.

1Password, I don't want to switch to using 1Password.com to sync across my devices/computers. Dropbox was working and it's free. We should be able to have it fixed rather than suggesting users to switch to 1Password.com syncing for an annual fee.

This discussion has been closed.