Two vault confusion

Options
diphanotka
diphanotka
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Mac

I am very confused about my vaults. From my iPad and iPhone and MacBook Air, I see two vaults: Primary (280 items) and Personal (239 items). However, on my.1password.com, I see only one vault: Personal (239 items). The Personal vault is causing confusion and I don't need it. Please tell me how I can delete the Personal vault so it no longer appears on my iPad, iPhone, MacBook Air, and my.1password.com. Please also tell me how to get my.1password.com to work with the Primary vault. The Primary vault is synced using Dropbox.

1Password Version: 6.8.6 (686004)
Extension Version:_ Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@diphanotka - The vault called Primary is a local (standalone) vault that you created at some point in the past. The vault called Personal is part of your 1Password account. I understand you say you don't need it, but if you wish to continue using your 1Password account, you very much DO need it, as your Primary vault is not part of the 1Password.com data stored on our servers; it's local data that's only on your device. That's why you can't see it when you sign into your account in a browser.

Given that these two vaults have somewhat-similar item counts (based on your description), it sounds as if you may have migrated your Primary vault data over into the Personal vault at some point in the not-too-distant past. Is that correct? If so, what you'll likely want to do is remove the Primary vault instead. However, you'll want to make sure you don't have any data that's in the Primary vault that's NOT already also in the Personal vault. Let me know if I'm on the mark with my guesses here. :)

• diphanotka
    diphanotka
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thanks, Lars. Is there a way to merge the two vaults? If not, can I delete everything in my Personal account and then re-load it with everything in the Primary vault?

I have had the Primary for several years. Later on, I signed up for the Personal vault / 1Password account (due to persuasive marketing from 1Password). I probably loaded my Personal vault initially with data from my Primary vault, but then continued to use the Primary vault as before, thus saving all new items and changes in the Primary vault.

• diphanotka
    diphanotka
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

To be more specific, in order to ensure that my new-but-dated Personal vault has everything exactly as I have it in my old-but-still-current Primary vault, I am suggesting that I first delete everything in my new-but-dated Personal vault and then import all items from my old-but-still-current Primary vault. Lastly, I would delete the old-but-still-current Primary vault and make sure that new items and changes are saved in the Personal vault from here on out.

Is this possible and practical?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@diphanotka

Is there a way to merge the two vaults?

Not in anything approaching an elegant way, no. If you've got both visible in 1Password for Mac, you could sort items in Primary by date modified, then try moving over everything past the date you did the initial move, but like I said, not exactly elegant.

If not, can I delete everything in my Personal account and then re-load it with everything in the Primary vault?

That's going to be much faster and simpler, yeah -- as long as you're certain you haven't also been adding or editing things in Personal at the same time. If you've been adding/editing in BOTH...I'm afraid I'd have to recommend you the manual, lengthy, annoying way. :(

To delete your local Primary vault in 1Password for Mac, go to Preferences > Advanced and deselect the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts." But make SURE you've got everything into Personal that you need. On your iOS devices, it's not quite as simple, you can't just remove your Primary vault. Instead, you'll want to go to Settings > Advanced (scroll down) and tap on Erase all 1Password Data. This will do what it says, then quit 1Password. On your iOS device's home screen, re-launch 1Password and you'll get the Welcome (new user) screen. From there, choose your existing 1Password account, sign back in via scanning the Setup Code on your Emergency Kit or entering your details manually, and you'll be 1password.com account-only. Let us know if you have any issues or questions! :)

• diphanotka
    diphanotka
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Lars. Here's a brief summary of what I did.

(1) On 1password.com, I manually deleted all 239 items from our Personal vault.
    (2) On my iPad, I created an export file containing all items from our Primary vault and saved it on Dropbox.
    (3) On 1password.com, I imported the export file from Dropbox into our Personal vault.
    (4) I deleted the export file from Dropbox.
    (5) I erased all 1Password data from my iPhone and my iPad.
    (6) I closed and re-opened the 1Password app on my iPhone and iPad and connected them to our existing iPassword account with the master password.

All looks to be as it should be. The all-item count actually increased by one -- from 280 to 281 -- because a document was created with the 1Password license.

My wife is traveling. As soon as she calls me back, I will talk her through the process of erasing all 1Password data from her iPhone and iPad and connecting them to 1password.com. We will then be using only our 1password.com account (Personal vault).

Thanks again for helping me to sort this out.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@diphanotka - you're quite welcome! That sounds like a surgical strike - very well done. Let us know if you or your wife need anything else or run into any problems. :)

This discussion has been closed.