REQ: New field type for Private values

Smudge
Smudge
Community Member

I thought I had requested this a long time ago but a search didn't find it so sorry if it is a duplicate.

I would like to have a new field type be added to 1P that is similar to the Password type but for other Private values.

There are many use cases for such a field. For example,

• Show someone an entry on your device with specific fields revealed but not show all other private values in that entry.
  • Here is a very old request thread asking to exclude entries from being considered as a weak password. If you set up an entry with a PIN field set as a password type, it will be flagged as weak since PINs are usually 4 digits.
  • Often the PIN is randomly assigned by the bank. Having the password generator icon there makes it possible to accidentally click on it which immediately replaces the PIN value. If you then panic and hit save instead of cancel, that PIN could be lost and the bank has to issue you a new PIN. (Yes this has happened in my Family vault)
  • Not sure if it is still a problem but there was a time I was editing an entry and added a private value then set it as a password type. It replaced the existing password login field with this new value. I had to view the saved web form fields to locate the proper password and set it back. A regular user would probably not know about those fields.
  • Many sites now require Security Questions and Answers for password recovery. I add this info into 1P with the Answers as password types so they are obscured but they are not proper passwords.

The parameters for this field that I can think of right now would be

• It is concealed when the Conceal Items option is enabled
  • It may or may not be shown in the monospace font (user preference setting?)
  • It does not offer the password generator icon
  • It is not to be considered a password and should not be added into the default "password" login field

This feature is kind of available in the Bank Account template for the PIN field (shown in monospace font, set as password type, no generator icon) but it is still considered a password and flagged as weak. I hope that it is something that could be fixed then added for general use.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Smudge -- thanks for the well-thought out request on this one. We're aware of how Security Audit on the Mac can sometimes keep items marked as weak that can't be removed from the audit, and we're experimenting with ways to address that. I can't say any eventual solution will match your exact idea, but we're definitely thinking along similar lines as you appear to be. Cheers! :)

• mikealex
    mikealex
    Community Member

+1

I registered to file a request for the same thing. I don't have all the same requirements, I just want a "Hidden" field that works exactly like a password field, minus the password generator. I'd use it for things like PINs, recovery keys, recovery question answers, etc.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @mikealex! And thanks for taking the time to let us know you're interested in this feature as well. We don't have anything to announce regarding it at the moment, but keep your eyes on updates and release notes. :)

This discussion has been closed.