iCloud Session Expired: repeated sign-in prompts syncing with iCloud [addressed in version 6.8.6]

Options

Comments

• dimjoula
    dimjoula
    Community Member
    Options

For me, deleting the icloud.com and apple.com cookies, then signing-in at the icloud.com website seem to have solved the problem for 3 days now. Or, I was lucky !?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@dimjoula: It sounds like you're not the only one. So glad that helped in the mean time while we work on an update as well. :chuffed:

• BoxCar
    BoxCar
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

In the mean time for others, first try just signing in to iCloud.com and telling iCloud to trust your computer and don’t bother deleting cookies. Try deleting cookies if just signing in doesn’t work.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BoxCar - I just want to remind everyone once again that we are indeed testing an internal fix for this issue which - assuming all goes well - should be out soon. It's fine to take these other steps with deleting cookies or pinning tabs; they may work for some people for a while, but they are not been tested to be a verified solution to the problem.

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member
    Options

This must be a really tough problem for AB. Or else they have other priories. Or possibly Apple just isn't interested in helping. Apple has so many other problems perhaps nits (to them) just aren't worth focusing on.

I am going to be exploring other password managers.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RickCunn I'm not quite sure how to answer your post.

This must be a really tough problem for AB. Or else they have other priories. Or possibly Apple just isn't interested in helping.

Since I've updated the initial post in this thread to reflect the fact that we're actually testing a durable fix for this issue right now, I'm not sure how speculation of that order helps anyone, and I'm not certain I could be more clear: we are currently testing a fix.

We really do understand how annoying this issue has been and continues to be for a subsection of our users, and we want to get a solution into your hands as quickly as possible. But if the combination of knowing both that a fix is on the way and that it's not here right this second leads you to switching password management solutions, well, as long as you're using some password manager, we'll at least feel better knowing you're not resorting to your mom's birthday combined with your dogs name for all your logins. Stay safe out there. :)

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member
    Options

I missed the testing announcement. I'll look forward to a working patch any day.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RickCunn - We'll have it out to everyone as quickly as it's stable and ready to go. Thanks for checking in. :)

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

@RickCunn @Lars I came to the opposite conclusion. AB's customer service is so awesome that it should be a huge selling point for 1Password. The bugs and minor inconveniences do not last long as they obviously work very hard to fix things quickly. It's hard to imagine that competitors would have service like this. In addition to all of that the app keeps improving with security improvements and new features for no extra charge.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mirv - thanks for the kind words! We do try very hard to make sure users aren't left hanging when something goes wrong, and it's always a bright spot when someone recognizes that. :)

To the degree we don't get it right sometimes, we're also glad to hear about it from people who are having troubles. How else are we gonna improve if we aren't even aware there's a problem?

• julianrose
    julianrose
    Community Member
    Options

Keeping the tab open/pinned as was suggested by @dhbkpme05 did not work for me, for anyone following this conversation who is curious.

• julianrose
    julianrose
    Community Member
    Options

I wouldn't say that this bug "did not last long" (I was having it for months! And others were as well). However, I do want to complement the AgileBits team on being so responsive and open on explaining the users about the issue and giving them progress updates.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@julianrose: Thanks for the kind words! Just to clarify, this issue is not quite a month old. The discussion you're pointing to is indeed about iCloud sessions expiring, but that's how it has always worked, and people contact us when they have questions about this. The issue these last weeks is that the iCloud sessions seem to be expiring for some people every day, even when checking "keep me signed in", which, until recently, would work for about a month. Definitely some confusing context there though, so it's easy to conflate. Really, you just want things to work anyway. Cheers! :)

• pawel_guraj
    pawel_guraj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, For last few days the problem disappeared without any intervention from my side.
    Just after everyday authentication on iCloud page it simply stopped asking again...

Br, Pawel.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pawel_guraj - and you did nothing to your 1Password setup to cause this? Nothing different when you last authenticated to iCloud? That's strange indeed. I'm not a developer, but unless I missed a memo, Apple has not pushed out any solution to this as of yet, and I know we aren't quite ready to release the fix that we've been testing internally. Strange (but in a good way!). Keep us posted if anything changes.

• dhave
    dhave
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I'm glad the frequent re-authentication problem involving iCloud has disappeared for pawel_guraj, but I can attest that it is still very much a problem for me. I'm running Mac OS X 10.13.2 (17C205) and am up to date on all Mac OS X updates, patches and so on.

• rudy
    Options

@dhave,

The beta that fixes this issue is currently public if you're interested in getting some relief on this issue. Just be sure to sign into iCloud in System Preferences.app and turn on iCloud Drive.

Rudy

• dhave
    dhave
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy: Yes, I'd like to try the beta. I wasn't able to find a dl link on the site. Could you direct me, please? Thanks.

• rudy
    Options

@dhave,

If you click the "include beta builds" on the Updates tab in preferences, clicking "check now" should tell you that 6.8.6.BETA-2 is available.

Alternatively you can click on "Enable betas" in the top right corner of the grid of 4 on https://1password.com/downloads/

Alternate alternatively you can visit https://app-updates.agilebits.com

Rudy

• PurdueGuyInWLA
    PurdueGuyInWLA
    Community Member
    Options

My repeated logins have disappeared as well. Certainly looks like Apple made some "behind the scenes" changes that shouldn't have impacted customers. But being in software development, I know that is almost never going to work as planned!

• dhave
    dhave
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Rudy. I've installed the beta and am hopeful that this nagging problem is gone. I'm sure you folks have been wanting that more than any of the rest of us.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PurdueGuyInWLA - I'm glad to hear it! As rudy mentioned above (and I updated the original post in this thread to reflect), we've actually got a durable fix out in the form of 6.8.6.BETA-2 right now, so although I'm glad to hear things seem to have righted themselves for you, I'd still recommend downloading and installing that beta (or at least installing when it is available in stable), because I can't say whether whatever good thing that happened to you will persist. Just my 2¢.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dhave

I'm sure you folks have been wanting that more than any of the rest of us.

Ha! ;) Well, I can certainly say we've been looking forward to this, yes. But mostly the reason is because we don't like the idea of any sub-group of our customers having to suffer through persistent annoyances like this that are actually regressions from the way things used to - and should - work. Give it a whirl for a while, and let us know how it's going for you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

AgileBits Update:

1Password for Mac version 6.8.6 is now available to everyone, which should resolve this issue going forward.

Important: Since it is now using Apple's native iCloud frameworks through macOS, just make sure you're signed into the correct iCloud account in System Preferences, and that you have iCloud Drive enabled.

Thanks to everyone for your patience with us and Apple as we investigated and worked on a solution for the iCloud sign in issues. :)

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member
    Options

iCloud Drive is enabled. Will I see something in the drive?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@RickCunn - no, native 1Password iCloud sync doesn't use iCloud Drive, it uses CloudKit, which is a companion technology that's not really user-accessible. It's for developers who want to sync database-like files, instead of the more traditional (and user-accessible) folder-hierarchy of iCloud Drive.

The reason you need to make sure iCloud Drive is enabled is that CloudKit was not available on the older version of iCloud (Documents & Data). Most people have long-since made the conversion (that occurred back around the time Apple released OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite")), but we mention it here in case some people are rocking older versions and wonder "hey, what happened?" You won't see anything in iCloud drive...but the sync should work -- and now, without those annoying reauthentication prompts!

If you want, you can test it by creating a new Secure Note on each device you're syncing. Give each one a unique name like "From iMac," "From iPhone," etc, so you can see where each one came from. Then give things a moment or two and see whether all of them appear on all devices.

• julianrose
    julianrose
    Community Member
    Options

Woohoo, three cheers! It's finally working as expected now after the update. Thanks for the explanation, Lars – and a huge thanks to the 1Password team for being to responsive and pushing out the update!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@julianrose - glad it's working for you! Believe me, we're as happy to have this one in the rear-view mirror as you are. :)

• dhave
    dhave
    Community Member
    Options

I used the beta for a day and now have been using the new release (6.8.6 [build #686004]). I haven't had a single instance of the iCloud re-authorization problem. Thank you!

• erogers3
    erogers3
    Community Member
    Options

I updated to 6.8.6 and the problem has gone away. Thank you for suffering through all our complaints and fixing this quickly.

This discussion has been closed.