Feature Request: Password Rules for specific sites

hesspaul
hesspaul
Community Member
edited November 2017 in Mac

Some sites only allow certain symbols in their password. They usually show a list of valid symbols alongside their password creation form. Since 1P allows all symbols, it's quite a pain to generate a 20 character password, then try to visually compare and audit whether each symbol is allowed on that site. Even worse to play roulette and try 5-10 times until I randomly generate one that works.

In the password generation form, I'd love to be able to paste in the list of allowable characters. Many sites separate the list with commas, so please parse that properly. :-)

Finally, I'd love for the entry to remember all rules for next time I generate a password. For instance, total size of password I used last time, number of digits, number of symbols, allowable symbols.

p.s. This request is not Mac specific but wasn't sure where to place it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hesspaul: I have to say I've never seen a site list allowed characters as comma-separated — I always thought because the commas would be misconstrued as being part of that list! :lol:

Anyway, we'd like to do something like this in the future, but often even finding accurate password criteria are difficult (many sites have lied to me about this...) I think it's likely that we'll making do something similar to what you're suggesting in a redesign of the password generator, though I can't say for certain if or when that may happen. Thanks for the feedback on this!

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member

I was going to post exactly the same comment, so instead I'll just second the motion :-).
    Many sites have constraints on the password length, set of allowable characters, and requirements on what must appear in the password (e.g. at least one upper, one lower, at least one symbol). It would be great to be able to specify those constraints in the 1Password entry for the site. I certainly agree you won't be able to derive it from the website itself, but if you give us the capability to specify it in the 1Password entry then we'll take care of the rest.
    I also agree that once you figure out the site's password constraints that ideally you shouldn't really need that info again because ideally you'd have made the longest, most complex password you could given the constraints (without a subsequent need to change it). That is until some bloody company like Equifax spills its guts all over the internet and you need to generate another password for the site - then you wouldn't have to figure out all those constraints again because it's captured in 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MickM: I couldn't agree more. Hopefully we'll be able to come up with an elegant solution to account for this in the next version of the strong password generator. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.