Touch ID icon no longer visible

Options
richardbadge
richardbadge
Community Member

Hi, I have forgotten my Master password and have been relying on the Touch ID to log in which has been working fine. However the Touch ID failed a couple of times today and now the icon has gone so only see the master password box to enter into. Is there a way to get the Touch ID icon back?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.2.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@richardbadge: No. Touch ID only works temporarily as a convenience. It is not a replacement for your Master Password, as that is used to encrypt your data, and Touch ID will only be available after entering your Master Password correctly. There is no backdoor, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• richardbadge
    richardbadge
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, but would a restore of the iPhone back to a backup before my Touch ID failed bring back the icon? Just trying to work out the logic on why the Touch ID icon has gone and if a restore would bring it back?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@richardbadge: I can't say for certain what happened in your particular case since you haven't offered any details, but generally speaking these are the most common reasons that Touch ID will be disabled:

• iOS update
    • Too many failed Touch ID attempts
    • Changed Touch ID setup in iOS Settings
    • You have it set to require your Master Password periodically

Restoring from a backup will not help, as you'll still need to enter your Master Password correctly first to enable Touch ID.

This discussion has been closed.