To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can't apply license file

Options
jacky_pants
jacky_pants
Community Member

I just installed 1password 6.8.6 on a new Mac. I've had a license for a few years, and still have the email link to my old license file, so I downloaded that and went to run it, however each time I open the license file with 1Password it just shows me the "Welcome to 1Password" screen and options for "new to 1password" or options to manually enter my account details, which takes me down the "secret key" road. This road does not apply to me, as I understand it, because I have a license file.

How can I get this to work? I am password-less at the moment.

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @jacky_pants! You're correct; you want the standalone option, not the 1password.com option, if you've using standalone 1Password on other devices. My question to you is: what method were you using to sync your data previously? If you've purchased a new Mac and you have data synced via Dropbox or iCloud, all you need to do is - at that Welcome screen you mentioned - choose the appropriate option, and your data will be imported from your sync keychain.

If you've never synced your data, you'll need to tell us a bit more about what your specific status is right now: what device do you have 1Password on?

• jacky_pants
    jacky_pants
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think I ever synched the data, certainly not with Dropbox or icloud. The old device had a complete hard drive failure but I do have a full backup of my old user profile - the data that I need is likely there?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jacky_pants: Indeed, if you never sync'd that won't be a way for you to recover your data. If you have a complete backup though, you'd be able to find 1Password backup archives in its support folder, in one of these locations:

Mac App Store version:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

AgileBits Store version:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

You're looking for something like 1Password 2017-07-01 01_30_37 (4 profiles, 3010 items, 8 folders, 95 attachments).1p4_zip. Find the newest dated backup archive and that should do the trick. Let me know what you find! :)

• jacky_pants
    jacky_pants
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help, guys. I am about 90% there.

I found the most recent *.1p4_zip backup file in my backup, and restored that without a problem in 1Password 6. All my pre-existing passwords are there. I can see in the "software licenses" section that it appears to recognize my license, there's the proper purchase date and all that listed, _*but*_ my 1Password app is in "read only" mode and it insists that I purchase a license for $65 in order to edit anything/add new passwords. My license was good for version 6 (indeed, that's the version I was happily using on my now-defunct older Macbook Pro), so I don't know how to get it to recognize the legitimacy of my license.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks again for all your help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jacky_pants -- the only time 1Password for Mac will be in read-only mode is if you downloaded it from the Mac App Store. Because Apple controls all of the purchasing from there and apps are tied to your Apple ID, you don't have - and can't use - an AgileBits license for that version. Apple has no way to know that you've paid us for a license, and we can't see the inner workings of the Mac App Store. So if your original purchase was from us, you'll have to download from our downloads page, then use these instructions to move your data over to the AgileBits version.

Alternatively, you could just delete the Mac App Store version and then download our version and re-restore that same .1p4_zip file directly from the Welcome (new user) screen. Either way, make sure you quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) before you delete the app. Then just drag it to your Mac's trash. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash, then empty your Mac's trash. Let us know how that works for you.

• jacky_pants
    jacky_pants
    Community Member
    Options

Didn't get a chance to mess with this, again, until this morning. I am back in action! Thank you, kind persons of the AgileBits forum!

• Ben
    Options

Excellent. Thanks for the update! If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.