Local server teams solution?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Business and Teams

Our company has a policy that proprietary info (code, passwords, etc.) must be stored on local hardware that we control. Is there a way to get teams running in such an environment? I guess this would entail having teams server software and an api.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows/Linux
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

@Scott Weatherhogge - we're not ready to roll out a self-hosted version of 1Password Teams at this point, though we've had some internal discussions around it for, well, practically since the beginning. The problem with considering a self-hosted option is the unpredictability of the systems onto which users would want to be installing it. We use Amazon's AWS as our host, and we take advantage of a number of the special features AWS provides that are likely to be absent in any self-hosted environment.

We're quite aware that 1Password is mission-critical software for virtually everyone who uses it. From the largest company to the single user, few people can afford to have their password database offline or non-functional in some way. So unless and until we can deliver a truly turnkey experience for self-hosting, we want to focus on making our own iteration of 1Password.com as reliable as we can.

If you've got a fixed-in-stone, hard-and-fast rule about no cloud services, ever, then we're not going to be able to meet that just now (though as I said, it may become a reality in the future). But if this is more of a general principle than a written rule, I'd advise you to take a look at our security white paper to see how we keep your data safe -- even from us. Long story short, data stored on the 1password.com servers is always encrypted. We never have your unencrypted data, and not only do we not have your de/encryption keys, we lack the means to even acquire them OR the secrets used to derive them (your Master Password and Secret Key). I'd be happy to answer more questions about the 1Password security model from you or anyone else on the team, so if this isn't a deal-breaker for you and you'd like to know more, just let us know!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Thank you so much. The security white paper link gives me a 404, though.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

There we go! Thanks.

• On behalf of Rick you’re most welcome. :)

Ben

• thsuw
    thsuw
    Community Member

Any change since?

• No news to share at this point, @thsuw.

Ben

• thsuw
    thsuw
    Community Member

Thank you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

You're quite welcome. :)

This discussion has been closed.