Forgot Master Passcode/Can Access Via Touch ID - How to reset without losing data (Pro Version)

seaxw
seaxw
Community Member

Forgot Master Passcode/Can Access Via Touch ID - How to reset without losing data (Pro Version for iPhone).

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.2.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

@seaxw: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! The only way to "reset" is to start over completely. Otherwise anyone could "reset" your Master Password to get into your data.

(Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

ref: Improve 'Recover' section

• seaxw
    seaxw
    Community Member

Will the Touch ID method of access always work - even if I have entered a password incorrectly multiple times? (i.e. does a failed access attempt override the Touch ID)

Can I copy data into a new Vault - and then assign a new master passcode to that one?

Thanks-

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@seaxw - Now I'm a little confused: if you've forgotten your Master Password, you can't access your data, and so you can't copy it over to any other vault. Are you telling me you ARE able to access your data in 1Password for iOS?

• seaxw
    seaxw
    Community Member

Yes -- I can use my thumbprint on the iPhone to open 1Password and can access all of my data. My issue is that I half-remember (I think) my master passcode. I don't want to exceed the number of attempts and get totally locked out - in that the passcode does not accept my entry, nor the Touch ID function.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

@seaxw - Touch ID is a wonderful convenience feature, but it does not - indeed it CANnot - replace your Master Password. Your Master Password is what's used to actually derive the encryption key which transforms your data back and forth from unreadable ciphertext to your actual data. Without it, no one including us OR you can access your data.

Don't panic; you cannot exceed the number of attempts because we don't limit you in that way. You can make as many guesses at your Master Password as you like.

However, if you've still got Touch ID access to your data and you think you've forgotten your Master Password, then you are definitely at risk of Touch ID becoming unavailable, and you need to transfer your data from the current vault into another one for which you DO know the password as soon as possible. Can I ask: do you have access to a Mac or a PC? Or are you possibly using 1Password on a Mac or PC already?

• seaxw
    seaxw
    Community Member

Thank for getting me (hopefully) one step closer to a solution. Just have 1Password on. my iPhone. Have access to a Mac also - but no 1Password on it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@seaxw: Thanks for letting us know! It may be simplest to sign up for a 1Password.com account (you'll have a free trial there) and copy the data over. Just follow this guide:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

That will walk you through creating the account, setting it up in 1Password on your device, and migrating your data there. Once you've done that, even if you can no longer access 1Password for iOS using Touch ID, so long as you save your account credentials in your Emergency Kit, you'll be able to access your data through the website, or on any other device just by signing in.

Now, I'd recommend sticking with the account, as then you'll always have an offsite backup of al of your 1Password data, but if you want to move back to using the standalone app with a local vault, all you need to do is move your data back:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

But I can't stress this enough: save your data first, save your Emergency Kit for the account second, and then we can go over the rest with you. That way you won't get locked out of your data at least.

• kgillen07
    kgillen07
    Community Member

I have a question that I believe is somewhat related to this post. I don't remember my master password and don't have my security key or emergency kit. Unlike the original poster, I am UNABLE to access my account via touchID, I was able to at one point but then it prompted me to type in my master password in order to enable touchID. I understand that "starting over" might be a possibility, but how do I do that if I'm paying for a subscription? I don't want to have to stop the subscription and then pay again because honestly I can't afford to pay again right now. What are my options?

• Hi @kgillen07

If you can’t regain access to your subscription account please send us an email to support@agilebits.com and we’ll be happy to help. We can’t discuss individual account details here as these are public forums. :)

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.