where is icloud sync file?

Options
devananda
devananda
Community Member

when syncing with dropbox I see a 1password file in dropbox.

I don't see any vault or 1password file in icloud when syncing via icloud in preferences.

where is this file when in icloud?

My specs:
MacBook Pro OSX 10.13.2
HD: 1TB
Processor: 3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

1Password 6
Version 6.8.6 (686004)
AgileBits Store

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@devananda Great question! Partly because Dropbox is a cross-platform sync solution, it's not deeply integrated with any particular OS. Instead, you have a separate Dropbox app, and a special Dropbox folder on each device, and - as you said - you can actually view all the files within it.

So, it's natural for people to assume they have the same capability when they choose iCloud for their 1Password sync solution -- especially because users know iCloud Drive allows them to view and place files in iCloud. iCloud Drive functions like (because mostly it IS) a traditional hierarchical folder structure that's user-accessible. However, 1Password data is not just a file or group of files. At base, it's a database structure like SQL. So, when you choose to sync your 1Password data via iCloud, you're actually using Apple's companion technology, CloudKit, not iCloud Drive. CloudKit is essentially a developer-only method of using iCloud's sync technology to keep database files in sync across devices. We (and other developers) can use it when writing our own code, but it's designed by Apple not to be user-accessible in the way iCloud Drive is. Users can of course access CloudKit from within the context of applications like 1Password that deploy it (by using their sync feature), but they can't access the actual files themselves from directly within a folder hierarchy.

• devananda
    devananda
    Community Member
    Options

oh ok. thanks for the clear and concise explanation.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@devananda - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to help, and feel free to drop by any time you have questions about 1Password. :)

This discussion has been closed.