To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Devices Stopped Synching and Can't Login

Options
Skullback1
Skullback1
Community Member

Hi -

I have a membership and have synched my devices. they stopped synching. I went to login on all my devices. Each asks for my secret key, but I do not have it. I've searched my downloads for the emergency kit, but can't find it. I have my file on dropbox, but am guessing it is no longer synching. Can you help me get in. Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Skullback1 It sounds as if you've been a user for a few years -- thanks! If that's the case, then when you started using 1Password, you were using it as a standalone app and using one of our manual sync methods (Dropbox, iCloud, WLAN). That's fine, and you can continue to do that -- but what you can't do with your current setup is login to 1password.com.

1Password accounts (memberships) are a new way to use 1Password, and unless you went through the sign-up process at 1password.com and chose a subscription method (monthly or annual), you don't have a 1Password membership. If you visit that link, we'd be more than happy to get you set up with one, but if you just want to keep using 1Password as you always have, then you'll want to get set back up with Dropbox. Can I ask what version(s) of 1Password you're running, on what device(s)?

• Skullback1
    Skullback1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I had ankle surgery and have been recovering. I use the app on my macs, iPhone and iPad. I have installed the most recent updates. on my macOS, i have version 6.8.6. I'd like to do whatever is easiest at this point. My wife and I want to synch this across our family and multiple devices. Would you recommend that I create an account. I originally paid for the app. Now it looks like there is a monthly fee for membership. Do I get grandfathered in or am I being double-charged for this (relative to a new joiner)? I'd appreciate getting this resolved as soon as I can, since my current devices have different information on them (passwords, accounts) and I want to get everything synched to the most current. Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Skullback1 - nice to hear from you again, and no worries on the delay. It's our job to respond to you in a timely manner, not the reverse. :) I hope the ankle surgery went well!

i have version 6.8.6. I'd like to do whatever is easiest at this point. My wife and I want to synch this across our family and multiple devices.

In the situation you described yourself as being in, "whatever is easiest" is without question a 1Password Families account. Not even a shadow of a doubt about it: if you've got up to five people in a non-business (family) situation, who all want to use 1Password personally AND share some of their data between them, a 1Password Families account is unquestionably the easiest - and most flexible - way to do it.

Do I get grandfathered in or am I being double-charged for this (relative to a new joiner)?

Unless you purchased the standalone app fairly recently, the answer is neither one, really. You will be charged the same as anyone who signs up for a 1Password membership, but if you purchased the standalone app a couple years ago or more, then it's not accurate to say you're being "double-charged," since new versions of the standalone app require the purchase of an upgraded license anyway. And although it's true that any "new joiner" who signs up for a 1Password Families membership wouldn't have that same charge for the standalone app in their past, that also means they wouldn't have been able to USE 1Password as a standalone app in the past, either.

In general, software has ongoing costs. Whether that's new version upgrades or a fixed annual or monthly subscription, I know of very very few software developers who sell a "one-time fee" license that includes all future upgrades, forever. It's just a matter of how you prefer to structure things -- and in this case, for multiple users, you get a LOT more with a 1Password Families membership than you would having to purchase multiple licenses for multiple people in a family.

I'd appreciate getting this resolved as soon as I can...

Then let's get started! You're going to have a reasonable amount of manual cleanup work to do, no matter how you do it, since if the data on your various devices is different, 1Password cannot determine what is no longer relevant to you or what might be duplicates of data on other devices. But here's the way to begin:

1. On your Mac (if there's more than one Mac, use the one with the most 1Password data on it already), make a manual backup of your existing 1Password data, just in case anything goes truly wrong.
    2. If you're not already running the latest version, update 1Password 6 for Mac to the latest version
    3. Head over to the main 1Password Families sign-up page and create your account. You'll have a full 30 days to try everything out before you'll need to add a credit card to begin a membership and keep the account out of Frozen status.
    4. Follow these instructions to migrate your existing 1Password data to your shiny new 1Password Families account's vault(s). You'll have both your Private vault (for stuff you don't want to share) and the family-wide Shared vault for stuff you do. Take a few minutes and make sure you've got your data where you want it between those two choices.
    5. Delete your older, now-empty local Primary vault by visiting 1Password > Preferences > Advanced (the gear icon on the top right of the Preferences window), and DE-selecting the box marked Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts. This will get you running only your 1Password account.
    6. On your other Macs and your iOS devices, add your account to the existing app(s).
    7. On those other devices, perform the same migration of data you did on the first Mac in step 4 here (this is where your own judgment will come into play about what to keep, what to trash, and what to put where (in Private or Shared). Do this on all devices you were already running 1Password on.
    8. On iOS devices, once that transfer is complete, there's no handy box like there is on Mac to check that removes your old Primary (local) vault, so instead, go to Settings > Advanced, scroll down and click "Erase all 1Password data" (in red at the bottom). This will erase all your data and quit 1Password.
    9. From the iOS device's home screen, re-launch 1Password and sign back into your 1Password Families account, which will now be the only vaults you have on the device.
    10. Have a nice iced tea or something stronger. You earned it. :)
This discussion has been closed.