Individual to Families

Options

Comments

• jtouhey
    jtouhey
    Community Member
    Options

I have a personal account but am thinking of going to a family plan so my husband will have access to some of my sites. There are sites that I go to that I don't want him to see. Is this possible and if so how do I set it up

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi @jtouhey.

When you invite someone to join your 1Password Families membership they will set up their own account with their own email address, Secret Key, and Master Password. You should not share your Secret Key and Master Password with anyone unless you want them to be you as far as 1Password is concerned.

Every account that is part of a 1Password Families membership will have a Private vault that no one else has access to. By default there is also a Shared vault that is shared with everyone in the family, but it is entirely optional what if any information you store in this vault. It is also possible to create additional shared vaults which can be shared with whichever family members you select.

Does that help? Please let us know.

Ben

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

I am also trying to get my spouse access to 1p via family account (which requires I move from my individual account). Of course, I have questions. She has the standalone app.

1. currently, I have all of my wife's data in my 1p, organized with tags. (She has some of the records in her 1p that I shared.) Once set up, can I move her data from my vault to her vault en masse using the tags?
    2. What procedure do I need to follow to switch from individual to family and then add her?
    3. What does she need to do once I add her?
    4. Is the 30 day trial still available?
      Thanks.
  • rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Regarding share vaults, do records have to be physically moved from their original vault to the shared vaults? Or are they linked in view mode so that if the record is updated in my personal vault, the change would be automatically reflected in the shard vault? In my case, I hope it is the latter.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

currently, I have all of my wife's data in my 1p, organized with tags. (She has some of the records in her 1p that I shared.) Once set up, can I move her data from my vault to her vault en masse using the tags?

@rlgleason51: Ah, interesting. Tags are really useful...but I'm not sure I'd want to rely on them to that extent to try to separate different people's data. You can select them by tag though, and that will make them easier to move to a new vault together.

What procedure do I need to follow to switch from individual to family and then add her?

If you sign into your account at 1Password.com in your web browser, you'll just need to click "Invite People" on the right to get started.

What does she need to do once I add her?

She will need to accept your invitation so she can setup her own account under your family plan. Then she'll have her own account credentials, Private vault, and access to any vaults you share with her.

Is the 30 day trial still available?

Yep! :)

Regarding share vaults, do records have to be physically moved from their original vault to the shared vaults? Or are they linked in view mode so that if the record is updated in my personal vault, the change would be automatically reflected in the shard vault? In my case, I hope it is the latter.

If it's in your Personal vault, she won't have access to it. You'll need to move it to a shared vault that she has access to in order for her to use it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the answers. I have to absorb the info so I’m sure I’ll have more questions.

On shared vaults. It would be nice if Records in private vaults could be flagged as 'shared' so that they APPEAR, but are not physically, in shared vaults. This way, I would not have to remember which vault a record was when updating it.

Has this been considered?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the answers. I have to absorb the info so I’m sure I’ll have more questions.

@rlgleason51: Sure thing! :)

On shared vaults. It would be nice if Records in private vaults could be flagged as 'shared' so that they APPEAR, but are not physically, in shared vaults. This way, I would not have to remember which vault a record was when updating it. Has this been considered?

I agree that it would be convenient, but it would also be bad security. Each vault is encrypted individually, so for another person to access any data in your vault they would have to have the keys to it. That's why we've gone to so much trouble to make it easy to share vaults between one, all, or none of your family members. It's really important to us that 1Password's security is based on encryption and not permissions that could be found to have loopholes. Fantastic questions! Keep em coming! :chuffed:

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Here is my dilemma. I am the keeper and manager of my wife's 1p data as she does not use it much (she's always asking me for her master password just to open it). I keep her records in my 1p with a tag for her name. When I make a change, I usually have to do it twice, once in mine and once in hers. I provide her with my important records in case something happens to me. I am trying to make things easier on me while at the same time trying to get her to use it more.

I am trying to determine if upgrading to families will solve my dilemma and make my life easier.

Suggestions? thoughts?

• Ben
    Options

@rlgleason51,

Certainly 1Password Families could, at a minimum, reduce or eliminate the duplication of effort you currently have. Instead of having your wife's vault and your vault that you have to do double duty to update you could have a shared vault which both of you would have access to.

Does that answer your question?

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlgleason51: Given that she's having you manage things for her anyway, you might find that the guest feature in 1Password Families is useful in your case. Guests you invite get their own account as part of the family plan, which allows them to use 1Password across all of their devices too, but they have access to only a single vault you share with them. You could create one for your wife, share it with her guest account, and then you'll both have access to a vault which contains just her data (and any items that both of you need).

The only real drawback is that guests cannot be Organizers, so she wouldn't be able to help you recover your account if you got locked out...but if she often forgets her Master Password, then you'll probably be doing that for her rather than the other way around, and have an Emergency Kit in case you need it. Let me know what you think. :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

If I sign my wife up as guest, how would I convert her to full membership, if she decides to go that route?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2018
    Options

Guests cannot be converted to members (or vice versa). You’d need to delete the guest account and create a new member invitation for her. As guests can only access one shared vault this does not cause any data loss.

Ben

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

I have been thinking about things and have several additional questions:

It seems to me that the simplest way to maintain my wife's data in a family account is to move ALL of her records to the shared vault (she has no issue with this since I originated most of her records). Given this, there is no advantage of having her as a guest member versus having her own login, key, and private vault; but there is advantage to her not being a guest in case her interest/needs change.

I have been reading other posts on similar topics and it appears that if I go to families, I will NEED to make changes to my 1P organization. I have three vaults, Personal (private), Archives, and Trusts. If I understand correctly, families will only allow me ONE private vault, whereas I would need at least two (personal and Trusts). The Trust vaults is for inheritance data from my family not involving my wife.

Is my understanding correct? Especially when it comes to private vaults, which is very important.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rgleason51 - if you are the creator of most or all of your wife's 1Password items anyway and she has no issue with you having access to her personal data, then yes, putting it all into the Shared vault would be a simple way for you both to be able to access it. Guests are definitely limited-access (that's partly why there's no charge for up to five simultaneous guests: they're not full-fledged family members), so if there's no drawback to inviting your wife as a member, it certainly allows for greater flexibility now and in the future: she can be a Family Organizer (to help recover your account if needed), and even if she doesn't use her Private vault right away, as you say, her interest/usage might change in the future.

With regard to multiple vaults, if you require more than just your Private vault, you can certainly create as many additional vaults as you like, and you can make yourself the only family member able to view/use those vaults. However, if you've made your wife a Family Organizer, then she would have the ability to add herself to those vaults. If you don't make her a Family Organizer, she won't have that ability, but there again, you'd lose the ability to have her recover your account in the event you can't sign in. So it's a bit of a trade-off. In general, if you have items you do not want any other family member to be able to access (not even other Family Organizers), your Private vault is the place for those items. If you must have more than one vault that no one else can access, then you'll need to be the only Family Organizer, and create vaults for only yourself.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. Thanks. However, I would like to run through the steps I would take to change from individual to family account and add her:
    1. Log onto the website, and send my wife an invite.
    2. Once she responds, we set up her login info, complete with the emergency kit.
    3. Then I go to her devices and add the account.
    4. I move her records from my vaults to her new personal vault. I then create(?) the shared vault and move the selected records into it.

So then, when I log into the website again, all I would see would be my vaults and the shared vault(?), or would I see her vault as well but just not be able to access it?

• @rlgleason51 : Your step 4 will be a bit different depending on the end result you want.

If you want to be able to access her items and you don't want to set her up as a guest, your step 4 would look like this:

Go back to one of your devices and move her items (and any items that are shared) into the Shared vault (already available by default, no need to create it) and leave them there.

This would leave you with your items in your Personal vault, her items and shared items in the Shared vault. You would have access to everything and she would have access to the Shared vault and an empty Personal vault, but none of your items.

Alternatively, if you want to be able to see only your items and the shared items on your devices:

Still go back to one of your devices and move those items to Shared (since you otherwise won't be able to see them on her devices). Next, head to one of her devices and move them from Shared to her Personal vault. From there, you can go back to one of your devices and move shared items from your vault to Shared.

This will leave you with your items in your Personal vault, shared items in Shared and no access to your wife's items. Your wife would have her items in Personal, shared items in Shared and no access to your items.

I hope this provides some clarity, but we're here if you still have questions. :chuffed:

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I think I have it now.

I'd like to repeat my earlier suggestion of having shared vaults contain 'images' of the records, similar to tags, except where tagged records are in the vault of origin, these records would appear in the shared vault (if I am making myself clear). This way, the records do not get removed from their home to the shared vault, they just get displayed in the shared vault. This prevents accidental deletion and you don't have to worry about moving records back and forth as demands and access change, you just remove the 'tag', 'flag', or whatever from the record. All you would need would a be flag, tag, or whatever that marks the record as shared. The record displayed in the shared vault could only be altered or removed from the original vault, not from within the shared vault.

I don't understand the security concerns expressed above. I assume all vaults have the same security so it should not matter if the shared records actually exists in the shared vault or if it is just displayed there.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to all who answered my questions. Upgrade to family plan and migration of my wife's data went off with no issues.

Two questions. Since links were broken when moved to shared vault. Tried to re-link them from the website but could not. Is this not possible when logged in?

Also, my billing does not reflect the free 30 days as mentioned by Brenty above. How will this be reflected in my bill?

Thanks.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

I found the answer to my link issue, can only be on my Mac. Which reinforces my suggestion from above. If links are constantly broken every time a record is going from vault to another, it can get to a real pain real fast.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, problem 2 has been solved, it seems. Just got the billing email, which seems to have the free month accounted for. Sure looks different (and better) than the one I saw online.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Like the family setup BUT...

Am very frustrated by losing links whenever I change vaults. I have many documents (photos)linked to records (passports, drivers licenses, etc.) that are lost eveytime I go from personal to shared and reverse.

I hope you are working on fixing this.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51

We can’t maintain links across vaults as it stands. Perhaps it would help for us to better understand your use case? What is causing you to move these items back and fourth?

I too store photos or scans of documents like my passport and driver license in 1Password, but I’ve never found cause to move them... they’ve always lived in my Personal vault.

Thanks!

Ben

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Primarily, it is a one-way issue going from personal to shared vaults. When I move items to the shared vault, I keep the docs linked, in case something happens to me, my wife will have access to all info. For example, a photo of our car title.

Also, (although I’ve never tried it and may not understand properly), when I move items to a travel vault, it would be nice to be able to include a photo of the passport as well.

I'm sure there will be instances of where I would want to move items back from shared to personal vaults, such as a divorce or death, not that I am expecting either to occur

• Hi @rlgleason51,

Ah... that makes sense. I feel really bad because it's effectively my fault that this doesn't work as you would expect. Ideally, when copying an item that contains a link to another item from vault 1 to vault 2, we would find the linked items, copy those as well, and make sure that the links are restored on the destination vault. This is a corner I cut when I originally implemented Copy support between 1Password.com vaults in 1Password for Mac and iOS, figuring that we'd finish that up soon afterwards. Unfortunately we haven't done so yet.

The workaround for now is to copy the linked items manually and recreate the links.

Rick

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. While we're talking links, it would be nice if the links worked both ways, i.e., if I link a record with a document, have the document be automatically linked with the record. As it stands now, I have link the record with the doc, then go to the doc and link the record.

Hopefully, it won't be too long before you can implement this.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @rlgleason51. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.