Can another person use my info in 1PW emergency kit to reach my computer

i want my son to be able to access my files when I pass on. Is it safe to give him my 1PW emergency kit info? If this became lost could anyone access my computer from theirs? I want my son to be able to get into my computer to close acct's etc. Is there a safer way?
Thanks bev

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can another person use my info in 1PW emergency kit to reach my computer

Comments

• Hi @bwaldron,

It's great that you're thinking through this problem. Our recommendation for this would be to provide them with a copy of your Emergency Kit, in physical form (i.e. printed paper), including your Master Password. The Emergency Kit contains your email address, your Secret Key, and your Master Password (after you write that down). With that, your son would be able to sign in to your account from his own computer and get access to all of the information that you've put into 1Password. This will hopefully provide them with everything that they should need.

You specifically said "could anyone access my computer from theirs." The Emergency Kit would not allow them to access your computer. Only the websites and other information that you've stored in 1Password.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• bwaldron
    bwaldron
    Community Member

Thank you. I need to give this some careful thought since all of my sensitive info is protected by 1Password. if the printed paper were stolen or became lost on his end before it was needed this could result in in identity theft plus other issues similar to a data breach. The digital era is great but also presents new problems. Thanks again for your answer. Bev

• That is very true Bev, and an important consideration. Perhaps a bank safety deposit box could help, where both you and he have keys, or you trust your keys to an attorney who will only release them to your executor or other appropriate party?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.